Air in Fuel

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Also , make sure you don't have a blocked tank vent. take the fuel tank caps and leave them loose and see if the problem goes away, if it goes away, blocked tank vent.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it seemed loose I could turn the middle peice that have the T's almost all the way around.

Seems to me you found your air leak. All connections must be rigid.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just checked everything out, and I tried tightening the brass T on the back of the motor didn't seem to do much. But while I was messing around i grabbed the line that comes from the fuel filter head down to the front passanger side injector, and pulled up slightly and it made a small hissing sound.

So I started the truck, and pulled up on it again and it leaked fuel like crazy. I pulled the line off then the cap to check the O-rings. The top O-ring is loose, and felt kind of hard. I put it all back together pushing th cap on in tell it snapped. Started the truck it still leakedwhen pulling up, I went around to all the caps and pulled up on the lines slightly al lbut two leaked fuel like crazy.

I just barely put the retun line kit on so I'm not sure if the Orings are bad or not or if it's normal for the caps to leak when pulled up slightly????

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A common mistake a lot of folks make when they redo their O-rings, is they do not get the caps back on properly. A good rule of thumb is this.... the injector line nut should NEVER touch the return cap. If it does, you don't have it pressed on all the way. Also, once they are correctly installed, you should NEVER disturb them. Heat and vibration sets them up such that once they have been in place for a while, if you bump them, or otherwise look at them funny, they will start leaking. Consequently, when you repair one of them, you have to repair them all, because it's damn near impossible to replace one without disturbing the one next to it, and so it goes like dominoes.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the caps are pushed down in tell they click,and none of them touch the nut.

So it looks like I'll be trying to find a new set of O-rings.

What size of O-ring are they , and can I just pick them up at Napa, autozone or any local parts store?

Last edited:

supertom151

Reaction score
Hi Kris I am having the same problem with my 1992 E-350 I looked and looked, then today I saw a fuel leak on top of the fuel tank it is all wet at the joint with the o ring connection, I will install a new o ring and clip in the morning.
Good luck to you.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Kris I am having the same problem with my 1992 E-350 I looked and looked, then today I saw a fuel leak on top of the fuel tank it is all wet at the joint with the o ring connection, I will install a new o ring and clip in the morning.
Good luck to you.

Thanks for the hint,

Yesterday i ordered some Viton o-rings, so i'll give them a try if they don't do it then i'll check the tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online