94 idi turbo exhuast

deadeyeb

Reaction score
could anybody give me a lead on a good exhuast system for a 94 idi turbo. i would like to get a down pipe back system,that would help in horsepower and milage. does anybody know of a aftercooler sytem and do they really help at the 7 to 8 pounds of stock boost that these trucks make.

sassyrel

Reaction score
fred--ats has the parts--they aint exactly cheap--diff turb hsg, diff downpipe hsg, diff downpipe---3" mandrel bend---but--when you put this on--and turn the boost up to 12 lb max--by gauge in truck--and then turn the inj pump up---it will haul balls--i own one--you wont believe the diff----

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their are several outfits that make just the down pipe, it replaceses the stock (run over by a fork lift) down pipe but you stil have the 2.25 out let. The ats huosing and 3 inch down pipe is the way to go, after that get a 4 inch exhaust (for a 94.1/2 power choke - bullydog i think still has them) muffler or not your choice. Get your pyro and boost guages installed, then turn up the pump and mod your boost. Then mod your intake, either with a 'ram air ' from the rad support or 'cowl induction' (look at the hypermax web site).

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add, their are a lot of opinions on when you need the intercooler, my opinion is that if your egt's are not to high don't bother.

TOTHEMAX!

Reaction score
also there is a few diffrent options when it comes to the materials the pipe is made out of. there is t304 and t409 if i am not mistaken??????? one is all aluminium and will rust out if you live in the states that put salt or chemicals on the roads. i live in montana so i went with the more expensive stainless steel (t409?).

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
if you want cheap you could go the route of getting the upgraded housings and down pipe(kinda expensive but helps) and a powerstroke exhaust system out of a junk yard.They are larger than ours and if the truck is the same length and not of the stupiddoody variaty it will go right in.Usually you can get them real cheap at junk yards,performance shops(where they replace the small with sewer pipes).Maybe find a smaller aftermarket kit(4") at said above places too.Used exhaust is basically worthless(scrap value) so use that to your advantage.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the truck with the wastegated ATS already installed and put in the IC afterwards. I can outrun most choker trucks. hauled a 14k GN trailer recently and the IC really made a difference. I didn't have to back off the throttle the entire trip up the hill Ca17 from SJ to Santa Cruz...think I scared a few little cars doing 55 up the hill with a 30ft trailer tagging along behind me:D

deadeyeb

Reaction score
The reason I asked was when I tow my 31' fifth wheel trailer into NH. my exhaust gasses reach 1200 degrees. My exhaust systemis shot so I need a new one anyways. So a new housing is needed to replace the down pipe to aftermarket. Any other rec. for better gas milage or performance.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Fred,

FYI - 1200 is fine. Hypermax told me a 6.9-7.3 could run 1250 "All Day Long". I pull my turbo - propane 6.9 in my motorhome at 1200 all the time. I get 12-13 psi boost with the stock Hypermax non-pulse turbo with a 2 1/4" DP. into dual 3" exhaust.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a MBRP exhaust intended for an OBS Powerchoke when I installed the ATS turbo on my truck.

It took a little fabbing to get it to mate up to the ATS downpipe, but with minor cutting and welding, it went right on.

I picked mine up cheap on ebay- you might look into that. IIRC it was around 300 shipped for a 4" exhaust system with a 5" tip...

Ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online