92 shuttle bus 7.3 n/a

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
With the load and wind drag he'll have, it be best to have a higher revving engine for cruising. That's one thing I love about my C6 in my motorhome.

She revs around 2500RPM @ 60mph. Always has power on command for passing, or whatnot, never needs to downshift on flat highways etc.

rocklefty19

Reaction score
really that much of a difference? I checked out their website thanks now i just have to find somebody that knows how to replace and time the IP. also is there anywere i can find headers for my bus? I think that might help some also I already have 3 inch after the factory y pipe to a thrush turbo tube.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat the small stuff, IP and Injectors is easy to replace, 4 Hrs. max. Read this post, but don't no why he is having so much trouble, it tells how to change the IP. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46346 Never changed an IP on a Van so I couldn't give him any advice to his problem. Headers ain't gonna do you much good, and if down the road you add a turbo, you can't use headers with a turbo.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I know theres only 1 company that makes headers for these engines, can't recall the name right now, but I have no idea if they make headers for vans.

rocklefty19

Reaction score
ok so just a replacement of the pump does not require timing, Im going to order my stuff and tackle this beast as soon as it gets in. I'm guessing it will be better to buy the new injectors fora little more money than the refurbs right?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so just a replacement of the pump does not require timing, Im going to order my stuff and tackle this beast as soon as it gets in. I'm guessing it will be better to buy the new injectors fora little more money than the refurbs right?
If you can afford the time, I would get the injectors from Russ (typ4 on here)...from him, you'll get a set of new injectors that will be matched to the same pop pressure.

And, there's no way to replace the injector pump without re-setting the timing...you could make a mark on the housing and clock the new pump there, but because of subtle differences internal to the pump (particularly since your old pump's worn), you won't have the timing dead-on. There's a mark on the housing already, but that's meant for you to align the IP and have it in a position where the engine can be started, so that you can check the pump timing and set it properly.

Replacing the pump isn't THAT miserable of a job, although it'll be a bit more difficult in a van chassis. If you can find a fellow board member with the pump timing tools, or find a shop that can set the timing for you, you can do the swap yourself...FWIW you shouldn't run the engine long-term with the timing set incorrectly, but you can drive it at least to a shop...

rocklefty19

Reaction score
ok, some help would be appreciated. I have called around the local diesel shops in central ky and i get the same response that they dont know or wont do timing on my injector pump. Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated.