86F250 Water Seperator Unhooked Glow Plug?

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17.99 for the 6.2 19.99 for the detroit setup 43.99 for the filter base -cuss

Where did you mount your setup at?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt there there a filter that just screws on in place of the factory fuel filter that acts as a fuel filter/separator? I think it might be the one for a 7.3 or something. Cant remember.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to a local o'reamlys today the kid wasnt very helpfull in my search for a water seperator they didnt have the base i needed for the 6.2 or detroit filter conversion

However he was able to give me the specs of the filter that the stock 6.9 uses

I stumbled across a filter with drain that will fit my base its just twice the height but id rather relocate my stock setup than have to buy a 44 dollar base

only thing is its a different micron the stock setup is 6 micron this one is 10 i dont fully understand the micron rating but im assuming it will work with a filter base relocation of course.

Its a wix 33337 Part Number: 33337
UPC Number: 765809333376
Principal Application: IHC DT360, DTA360 Engines (10 Micron)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Fuel/Water Separator Filter
Service: Fuel
Height: 9.404
Outer Diameter Top: 4.282
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 7/8-14
Burst Pressure-PSI: 425
Nominal Micron Rating: 10

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

You must be registered for see images

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock filter specs wix 33811 Part Number: 33811
UPC Number: 765809338111
Principal Application: Ford Trucks/Vans w/6.9 Liter Diesel Engine (83-88), IHC Trucks (6 Micron)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Fuel Filter
Service: Fuel
Height: 4.332
Outer Diameter Top: 4.282
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 7/8-14
Burst Pressure-PSI: 265
Nominal Micron Rating: 6

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

You must be registered for see images

If you were to want to change your filter base your better off going with something in the 1 1/4 filter range there are alot more filters to choose from alot of them are cheaper aswell

here is a wix p/n WIX - FILTER BASE (1"-14 REMOTE BASE)
Item No: 24770

$35.99 Each

Last edited:

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
With the 6.2 setup that filter is a primary filter with a 12 micron rating. The secondary has a rating of 6 micron. The smaller the number the better the filtering. Since both of the trucks have a filter with 6, it seems like that is what stanadyne might require to use. If it where me I would replace it with a better filter or same, not a worse one.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wix 33417 screws right to your base, $25 roughly, has a drain for draining out water. No modifications needed.

Wix 33617 screws right to your base, $25 roughly, has a drain for draining out water. Also has a port to add a water sensor. It would use the water sensor from a 7.3. But there is no plug for the port so if you don't want to wire in a water sensor right away get the 33417.

CarQuest or Napa carries Wix as well as tons of other places.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wix 33417 screws right to your base, $25 roughly, has a drain for draining out water. No modifications needed.

Wix 33617 screws right to your base, $25 roughly, has a drain for draining out water. Also has a port to add a water sensor. It would use the water sensor from a 7.3. But there is no plug for the port so if you don't want to wire in a water sensor right away get the 33417.

CarQuest or Napa carries Wix as well as tons of other places.

Neither one of those filters will fit my base they are both 1 1/4 in threaded filters as mine is a 7/8

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do yourself a favor and find a 7.3 filter base in the wrecking yard or from the stealership. It's a bolt-n-go with no other mods necessary. You can run a 33617 filter and be able to find them at just about any parts house if you needed to do so.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do yourself a favor and find a 7.3 filter base in the wrecking yard or from the stealership. It's a bolt-n-go with no other mods necessary. You can run a 33617 filter and be able to find them at just about any parts house if you needed to do so.

Junk yard would be the way to go i guess i really dont like getting reamed at the dealer

Friend of mine has a 91E350 with the idi 7.3 and its filter uses and open bottom?

I havent gotten around to changing it over yet but i do know the filter has a large threaded port on bottom for a end cap

Is that the right setup?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Junk yard would be the way to go i guess i really dont like getting reamed at the dealer

Friend of mine has a 91E350 with the idi 7.3 and its filter uses and open bottom?

I havent gotten around to changing it over yet but i do know the filter has a large threaded port on bottom for a end cap

Is that the right setup?
the "E" series uses a different base and piping. It's not where you would expect it to be at on a pickup.
the Wix 33617 does away with the annoying spin-on base. But if you like the filters with the bases, I can send you a few bases.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had never seen a filter with a base except for on my old international tractor

I guess im going to hit the pickuparts and try to find a cheap filter base setup

I had thought about the permacool and i belive its 1 1/4 thread on the filter

I am mainly looking for something that is widely available

I read the article on rebuilding the stock water separator thought about going that route but id prefer a filter/separator all in one thats not prone to leaking

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess someone already swapped my base. Sorry for the wrong info. I had a Hastings filter on there when I bought it.

Jegs has a lot of filter bases so you could find something there that would work. I would make sure the filter bas has ports coming out the side, otherwise you might not have clearance for the hoses and barbs when you close the hood if you mount it in its fatory location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online