$750 for a wheel alignment?!

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck in for the alignment. Initially cost $65 plus a couple shims. They did mention that the u-joints on the front axle were dry and rusty and would be needing attention sooner rather than later, and a few other little minor things...
Since I had them replace the drag link, I expected it to steer a bit different(stiffer) but I couldn't keep it between the ditches at all, and once I turned a corner, I couldn't get it back to center, and it would jump all over the place. Really scary. I thought of the dreaded "Death wobble" I've heard of. When I called them, they said they had adjusted the steering box, and it was probably too tight?!
So, had it towed over there, and they said that it wasn't the steering box, but the front U-joints jamming up.

I was pretty skeptical, that the u-joints which aren't even in play while it's in 2WD could cause a 6,000lb truck to jump all over, but they insisted. Anyway, they where adamant that was the problem. So I placed a little wager with the owner. He said if he was wrong, he would pay for the work, if I was wrong, I was buying beers for the boys in the shop.

The long and short of it is, I got the truck back this morning, and it drives like a dream. Night and day difference. He showed me the joints, and a couple of them are so badly seized that you can't even get the caps off to see what's inside. Some others, the needle bearings were just pulverized to dust.

I really hate the taste of "humble pie", but sometimes ya just gotta eat it.

Now I gotta go out and buy some beer for the boys at the shop...(sigh)

Check those U-joints!!

Zigg :eek: :hail

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I bet they re-adjusted the steering box. I don't see how the front u-joints come into play if the truck is in 2wd......
On second thought, maybe it is a problem. The u-joints have to move when you have to turn the steering wheel, maybe it was the problem. Get some beer and call it a lesson learned. I always engage my hubs every once in a while, just to keep the u-joints turning, even if the transfer case is not engaged. Its good to keep things moving.
John

rubberfish

Reaction score
IIRC dad's old 1st gen did the same thing.
He ******* about ****** steering for a long time.
Tossed in some new front 'U" joints and it was all good . :D
Not a cheap job either. ;Really

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOLY SMOKES! $750 to replace a couple of u-joints (or would it be 3 u-joints if it is a TTB?). I've never done one on a Ford TTB (yet) but that seems like a ridiculous amount of money. I can do them in under an hour per axle in my Jeep and the u-joints themselves are less than $15 apiece.

Surely it isn't THAT much more time-consuming to tear down and reassemble the TTB?!? I know the parts aren't that much more. Gonna' have to pull out my manual and see just what all is involved in swappin' 'em I guess...

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
No way do I buy it was U joints-I have seen many bad U joints but never did I see it cause the problems you mentioned.Joints may have been bad but not the cause of hard steering over center.Steering box too tight is my bet.Did it turn hard from center B4 he aligned it?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm voting for the gearbox too. On a worn box, if you adjust it properly at center then it will be almost undriveable as soon as you start turning the wheels.

No doubt they saw an opportunity to not admit they were wrong, and throw in another sale at the same time.

BTW - I hope they installed end cap greaseable U-joints. If you can't grease them then the first time they get a little water in them they are junk.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Ive seen bad u joints cause that problem many times before.
tearing apart a TTB axle is a PIA , and if they replaced the 3rd one it is even more a PIA.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny how after they did the initial work, it was so much more undriveable than before. The ujoints may have been rusty, but were they interfering with it's ability to steer before it was "aligned"? Humble pie always tastes more bitter if you can't be sure that you should be humble.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
not sure the u-joints were completely to blame but i have had that happen to me as well. once i replaced the u-joints in my jeep it would no longer hang up weird while turning. although my came on all of the sudden when i swapped in another front axle. my old one bent in a smiley face from ramping. sounds like the work needed done either way. as far as honesty i guess you will have to gage that for yourself but i dousen't sound out of line to me, expensive but not out of line.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I think the key is binding on center.and not binding on center B4 adj steering box.Sure the U joint work may need to be done,but a person should have had a choice where to get that done,not have it stuffed down his throat because the steering box was adjusted too tight.I was not clear it is possible for U joints to cause tight steering,but unlikley to caue it in just the center of the steering travel.The power steering in ouir trucks is generally powerfull enough to offset any U joint binding from rusted joints.
Funny thing on my 5 plow trucks I often had joints fail yearly from rust mainly front joints -it confused me as to why because they were greased frequently during the winter and after snow season was done. I wound up buying U joints with grease fittings in the caps-I would buy extra sets so I could have 4 caps with grease fittings on each joint -problem solved.In my opinion with the front wheel drive constantly engaged for 24 hrs or longer they would get warm and suck water in as they cooled and a lot of splashing with salty slush.By greasing after each storm being sure all joints got greased and a goos service after the last storm I saved a lot of downtime and parts expense.I never found end caps that had 4 greasable caps-do they make them with 4 greasable caps??
I think it made sense any opinions??? :dunno cookoo

Gosh U guys must be sick of my typo errors!!!

Last edited:

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way do I buy it was U joints-I have seen many bad U joints but never did I see it cause the problems you mentioned.Joints may have been bad but not the cause of hard steering over center.Steering box too tight is my bet.Did it turn hard from center B4 he aligned it?

Bill,

Normally i'd agree with you on this one.

The only wrench in this mix is that I first suspected the steering box too, and I backed it off a turn and a half in my driveway for this very reason when it was binding, thinking they had over-adjusted it. Made no difference at all. I even have a spare gearbox sitting in my shop that I pulled the top off to see what lurks inside, and if I tightened that one too tight by 1/4 turn it would bind at center, but as soon as I back it off, it was free. Not the case in my truck, and so although it seems like a pain in the butt to admit, I have to agree with the shop on this one. I think they're telling the truth about it.I only put about 500km(300mi) on this unit since the "alignment", but I did use 4x4 during that time, so maybe that little bit of 4x4 was the straw that finally seized the joints right up completely.

Also, it is a solid Dana 60 front axle, so, the high cost is due to having to pull the cover off the pumpkin, pull both front wheels off, brakes, bearings, rotors, spindles, and pull both axles out to re-do the joints. Total 6 hours labour, and parts(I had joints, seals done on the axle, and new bearings and seals on both hubs too.), so there was a fairly decent bill for parts. Finally, up here in Canada, the Gov't gets 13% tax on everything and every dollar spent, so the bill is always more than you'd expect it to be.

I was a bit pissed, but the bearings did have to get done sooner or later, it's a job I really hate to do myself anyway, and I'm glad it's over and done, and it drives like a dream now, better than ever, so lesson learned...

Zigg :)

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Zigg, sounds like it really did need to be done. You seem to have the worst, or at least weirdest, luck of anyone on this board!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
U-joints that are seized can cause the issue he described - if they have been rotated 90* from their old position. They only get worked on one axis until you put it in 4wd so it is possible for them to sieze on the opposite side. The u-joints I took out of my D60 were seized.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Well - Sounds like I was wrong-maybe a bit bull headed on this one.I do agree with BigRig 100% on the 90 degree rotation.
Crow for breakfast on a Sunday mornin -hope its at least fresh.:puke: :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance