7.3 idi weird noises. Help!!!

Seth.hibbitts89

Reaction score
Ok. First off. I have recently bought my first diesel pickup. 1990 ford f250 4x4 7.3 idi non-turbo. I know that these are pretty loud rackety motors. But i have noticed that that mid range rpms (1400-2000) the injector rattle is pretty loud. Seeing as how this is my first experience with a idi i dont know if this is normal or not. Also you can here a tapping/ticking sound coming out of the exhaust. The truck does have an old glass pack on the exhaust. Font know if thats what it is or not. Help plz.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ticking out the exhaust could be a worn exhaust valve guide. It's pretty easy to check with a screw type valve spring compressor with the valve covers off.

joshofalltrade

Reaction score
if the timing is too far advanced, you'll have a lot more "diesel clatter" than you should, and that may or may not be all that you're hearing.

i've heard of failing injectors making a knocking noise, which could easily be isolated using a stethoscope. your stethoscope could also be useful in looking for a cylinder whose valve noise is excessive by comparing the sound heard at various points on the engine, and/or poke around and see what catches your attention with it. if you're poking around just be sure not to disturb your injector return lines, or you'll be sure to have them start leaking a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes