7.3 idi starting issues

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Been having trouble starting my truck for about a week, it acts like the batteries are low and will barely turn the motor over, and had one bad glow plug causing hard starts as well. Been using ether or parking on a hill for the time as I'm out in the country working and had not gone into town. So I replace the glow plug first thing this morning, turn the key and the WTS light stays on for a few seconds(finally) like they are working... I then turn the key to start and it lugs the starter motor even slower, I had put the batteries on charge and they showed to have around 12.4 volts(two optima red tops that are 4 years old) I then figure they are just shot and going dead when I try to crank, so I get new batteries(same opitma red tops) and the starter won't even turn the motor over now... the new batteries didn't make the slightest difference... all thats left is the starter and solenoid on the quarter panel... please help I'm plannin on drivin 3 hours south this evening for a job interview tomorrow...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
are there any hot spots on the cables when you try to crank, that can lead you to a bad connection where heat is building up. if you could have a voltmeter on the batteries when you crank it would tell you if the batteries are the problem. you dont want to drop much below 12 volts when cranking. you should be holding this voltage all the way to the starter if not you have a bad connection or wire somewhere.

starters also start drawing more amperage as they get older, when they are getting to the end of there life they start going off the chart with current draw. thats how you test them to see if they are good.

i would suspect your starter but try to do some trouble shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online