1993 7.3 idi 2wd e4od strange problems

Jonesboy2

Reaction score
Greetings all. I have a 2wd 1993 f250 with the 7.3idi and e4od combo.

My trans lost torque converter lockup. I narrowed it down to either bad torque converter or bad pump (yes, I checked every one of the 27 other dumb things it could be). I didn't want to spend the money on replacing both knowing one of the two was likely fine, so not knowing for sure which it was, I bought an entire used trans with converter off of marketplace that supposedly worked fine and only came out of the truck due to a zf5 swap. I was sent videos of it running/driving, but the videos didn't tell the full story and were misleading come to find out.

I installed the trans and it was messed up too.... it has some strange stuff going on.

Problem number one: when you put it in D, and take off just like you normally would, the truck is very very sluggish and doesn't want to move, it feels like when you try to take off in a manual transmission vehicle in 2nd or 3rd gear. It eventually will get to speed, and it goes through gears and the torque converter locks in, but it is missing one feelable shifting event.

Problem two: to see if it had all the gears but somethings was just messed up with the D setting, I figured I'd start in 1, and shift up manually. Doing this, the truck takes off, accelerates, and feels like a proper normal functioning e4od should. But when I shift into 2, there is no shift, nothing happens. It just keeps accelerating in whatever gear it's actually in. When I shift into D from 2, there is a shift. Also, if I skip 1 and take off in 2, it feels and acts the same as if I were to take off in 1.

The truck is drivable like this, I have driven it probably 100ish miles under these conditions. It never slips, or does anything whacky. Two times, though, I have gotten the flashing light on the gear selector. The first time I just reset it by disconnecting the battery cables. It didn't blink again for probably 60 miles. This second time the light began blinking, I went to read the codes, but my code reader is messed up and would not initiate the test when I push the test button...

So any idea what's going on here? Am I missing a gear or something? I'm not sure what route I should take here, but between the two messed up trans's, I should be able to get one working with what I have. I've thought about taking the converter out of the current installed trans and just putting that in my old trans. But I'd hate to do that and it be the pump that was messed up on the old one, not the converter. I've thought about putting the current installed converter and pump into my old trans, but I don't want to put that pump in if the problems I'm currently experiencing are pump related. I've thought about just buying a New pump and new converter and putting them in my old trans, but then I'd have waisted a bunch of money on the used trans...

Thoughts?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Faulty range selector switch comes to mind real fast.
That's just my 2 cents and has been my experience with Ford's better idea with that item on several different models of Ford trans.