1990 7.3 Fuel filters keep needing changed ever 20 miles

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
I personally have seen the damage water can inflict on injection systems, especially on common rail systems. The pleats on a standard duty filter are treated chemically to be hydrophobic or basically water repelling, usually with silicon. Dispersed water in fuel will form droplets on the pleats and the specific gravity of the water being heavier than the fuel means they will fall to the bottom of the bowl. If the accumulated water is not drained it absolutely will pass through the filter pleats and be introduced into the injector pump and injectors. A water blocking filter uses media that will actually absorb and trap water until restriction develops and ceases flow unless bypassed. I've only ever seen these type filters used on fuel dispensing systems such as diesel transfer pumps. All fuel stored in mass has some amount of water. Its impossible for it not to. If engine mounted diesel filters were of this water absorbing/blocking type you'd be changing them every 10 hours of run time. The problem here is not water building to a point that it restricts the flow of fuel. The filter/water separator simply doesn't function this way.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a simple test to check the content of the filter, a few minutes time, might discover why the new filter is failing to pass fuel after 10 miles.
What could it hurt?

Reno Lamb

Reaction score
Has anybody thought that the inside of the tank might be failing? I went to a 38gal in the back and removed my front tank. Both original tanks, pulled and out on the ground, were leaking at seams, and there was scale inside.

zukgod

Reaction score
I'll check for water in the fuel tomorrow. I haven't had time to work on it because we're trying to get our farm ready to list for sale. I'm hoping to find a couple of hours this week to work on the old girl. I need to have it up and running tip top asap so I can use it to haul a load 600 miles hauling my trailer. I will keep you all update with what I have found. This site is full of amazing people that take time to help, and it's greatly appreciated.

zukgod

Reaction score
Has anybody thought that the inside of the tank might be failing? I went to a 38gal in the back and removed my front tank. Both original tanks, pulled and out on the ground, were leaking at seams, and there was scale inside.

I wouldn't think that both tanks would fail at exactly the same time, but stranger things have happened I suppose. When it first started I assumed that it had to be a tank problem, but once I switched tanks and the problem kept happening I figured it had to be something else.