1988 7.3l IDI non turbo, Need some advice

My1stdiesel

Reaction score
Hey guys, love your forum, really a wealth of knowledge here.

I've never owned a diesel truck, and am currently looking at buying a 1988 f350 crew cab, with the7.3l IDI, with the C6 transmission. 4x4 and in pretty good overall condition both in and out. Odometer shows 35k on it, but seller assumes it must be 235k. SEller said he had to replace 1 injector when he bought because it was running rough, and that solved the problem. He thinks it will likely need the other injectors done at some point, and will also need the power steering fixed, as he says it leaks a bit of fluid. Tells me the return line will likely need replaced as well.

I'm just looking to get some overall opinions on whether or not this is a good buy at $2,000. I'm only going to use this rig for dump and home Depot runs, and everything else is this price range that I have found is rusted and in terrible shape.

Any thoughts on this particular setup? The truck looks to be completely stock. I'm hoping this could be a good workhorse that I may be able to 5-10 years out of.currently starts and drives just fine.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take the time to give me there 2 cents.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2,000 is a steal considering the front axle is worth over $1,000 alone.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
With a C6, it won't be a good highway truck. The RPM's will be high and the fuel mileage won't be really great. Since it sounds like you're planning on mostly in town use with limited highway miles, I think it would be good for you.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Hey guys, love your forum, really a wealth of knowledge here.

I've never owned a diesel truck, and am currently looking at buying a 1988 f350 crew cab, with the7.3l IDI, with the C6 transmission. 4x4 and in pretty good overall condition both in and out. Odometer shows 35k on it, but seller assumes it must be 235k. SEller said he had to replace 1 injector when he bought because it was running rough, and that solved the problem. He thinks it will likely need the other injectors done at some point, and will also need the power steering fixed, as he says it leaks a bit of fluid. Tells me the return line will likely need replaced as well.

I'm just looking to get some overall opinions on whether or not this is a good buy at $2,000. I'm only going to use this rig for dump and home Depot runs, and everything else is this price range that I have found is rusted and in terrible shape.

Any thoughts on this particular setup? The truck looks to be completely stock. I'm hoping this could be a good workhorse that I may be able to 5-10 years out of.currently starts and drives just fine.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take the time to give me there 2 cents.
You can get all 8 injectors reman/ balanced for under $400 i bet. Id say its a steal. I paid $3,500 for mine not a dually and a 5 speed tho.

Big thing on these is make sure the glow plug system is up to *****. It wont start under 50 with out glow plugs working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online