1946 international TD-18

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of these old diesels had what was called a "Pony Motor". It was a small gas engine that was used to crank over the big diesel. It also appears that this is a two fuel engine - the big diesel can be run on gas to start and warm up and then switch over to diesel. I would assume that with the improvement in diesel fuel systems, glow plugs, and especially improvements in the electrical area in batteries, starters, etc. that pony motors are a thing of the past, but others more knowledeable than I will hopefully add to this interesting topic.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Those old international diesel tractors started on gas and then you would switch them over to diesel (the same engine has a carburetor and injector pump). They were a good design if you warmed them up before switching over. TD6 TD9 TD14 TD18 TD40 and the wheeled tractors MD WD6 WD9 WD40. My brother in law used his WD9 for plowing in the winter. It started nice but was cold with an open cab.

I think Calvin has some hours on a TD6.

Paul

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Basically what Red said. You start it on gas, let it get good and warm, then open the diesel throttle the same time as you throw the compression release closed...If you got it right she started.

This is a pony start:
http://youtu.be/F5bVJEDR7n4

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pony motors where very popular many years ago. I believe electric starter technology was not always favorable to start large diesels in the cold. These gas pony motors where more reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online