zf5 to idi mounting issues

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am in the middle of doing a e4od to zf5 swap on my 1992 f250 Idi I am also using a 460 zf5 I already drilled all the holes and what not but my issue is when I try to slide the trans on it won't go all the way up to the engine. It slides on nicely then stops with about 1 to 2 inch gap between them and went go any further. I my question is kinda stupid but is the flywheel to big and hitting the inside?? Or even dumber is the throw out bearing supposed to be on the inside of the pressure plate sticking out our is it supposed to ride on the trans spine on the outside of the plate. Also is anything supposed to be in between the engine and trans that's supposed to fill the gap?

Any help please? The flywheel I have is a one solid piece from a Ford diesel

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm quite unexperienced but from what I've read there's a spacer on the automatic transmission that has to come out. (?)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please tell me what type of auto flexplate you removed from your engine to install the standard clutch flywheel. If the auto flexplate was a huge heavy cast iron wheel then you have no problems. Now if the uto flexplate was the thin stamped steel plate with the ring grear welded to it then you may have left the spacer on the end of the crank. That spacer looks very much like the crank and many have no idea its there. It has to be removed to fit a standard tran flywheel. They are about 1 1/8 inch thick and a small hammer hit to the side and it falls off. Careful cause its heavy when it falls off. On the back of the engine there is a thick steel spacer that the trans bolts to just like the auto trans bolted to. That plate must be there for any trans that our trucks or vans is to use.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I'm quite unexperienced but from what I've read there's a spacer on the automatic transmission that has to come out. (?)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

there is a spacer for the "newer, thinner" flexplate but not on the bolt pattern itself.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
there is a spacer for the "newer, thinner" flexplate but not on the bolt pattern itself.

Actually this spacer is connected by a slight press fit to the end of the crank. Not on the trans. And its only there if you have the thin stamped steel auto flexplate. It wont be found on the heavy cast iron auto flexplates because they are about 1 1/8th inch thicker.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The throw out bearing goes on the trans input shaft. Should lock into the clutch fork.
I always put the trans in gear and spin the out put shaft whilst pushing it in. Gotta mesh the teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two Items come to mind. 1. you still need the 1" adapter plate that bolts to the back of the engine block. The IDI's use the same bellhousing adapter for manual and automatic. 2. Is the pilot stub of the transmission engaging the pilot bearing in the flywheel?

On the back of your crank you should have the flywheel with pilot bearing, clutch disk, and pressure plate. On the transmission you should have the throwout bearing on the front stub. If all of that is setup right then you should be OK to put the transmission up and slide it together. Make sure you use the clutch disk alignment tool that came with your clutch kit.

good luck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did you align the clutch disc with the alignment tool and did you test fit the disc to the trans input shaft to see if the 2 match up.

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks a bunch for you're advice it was the spacer i didn't even know was on the crank pulled it off and everything went according to plan as rare as that sounds. Thanks again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you found the simple fix. Now did you apply some thread sealant on the crank bolts. Those holes go thru to the oily side of the engine and oil will leak past the threads no matter how tight to make them. BTW the bolt torque is 47 lbs on the flywheel bolts in the crank.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks a bunch for you're advice it was the spacer i didn't even know was on the crank pulled it off and everything went according to plan as rare as that sounds. Thanks again

I wanna know how you had that flywheel bolted up with the spacer on. Did you re use the old bolts cause I doubt the SMF or DMF bolts would have enough threads to hold it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online