ZF5 Swap

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I figured if I got a year out of it then I would be happy, so far so good. It looked like new to tell the truth, now the pressure plate was a different story..LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was thinking about a ZF swap as well. But I was driving a work truck to a field one day...a 92 F either 350 dually or superduty. Had a ZF in it. And I wont even lie that gear roll over noise is the most annoying sound I've ever heard. I'm not going to do a ZF swap now....just look for an overdrive, maybe a axillary trans....but I aint going to contend with that sound.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T-19 has a different bolt pattern at the bell housing than the ZF-5 speed.
You WILL need to use the engine plate that the ZF-5 speed uses.
Been there done that....
HUH?!? I know I never had to do this - the bellhousing pattern is the same if the ZF-5 and T-19 are both the diesel versions. Sounds like you might've installed a gasser ZF-5 in yours...

Clutch uses a different size spline on ZF than T-19 so you will need a clutch and pressure plate for the ZF. The clutch slave cylinder is the same for both. The throwout bearing is different, the clutch lever [inside the bell housing ] is different for ZF. You will need the rear cross member from a ZF truck... the T-19 can be made to work but it's "easier". The sheet metal plate that goes around the shift lever is different for the ZF... get that also.
Good luck,

The TO fork should come with the ZF, and for the clutch and pressure plate, the part numbers I used from Autozone are in this tech article (is this the one you said you already read?).
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16973

There are also a bunch of pictures in my gallery that may be helpful if you look here
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/vbp...?do=view&g=157

If you can get all that other stuff from a ZF truck that's great. If you can't you can move the crossmember back 3-4 inches. Slide it back to where the front crossmember bolts line up with the rear bolt holes in the frame, then drill new bolt holes in the frame for the rear crossmember bolts. The sheet metal plate that goes around the shifter can be modified too. I laid mine upside down on a bag of pea gravel and pounded the center of it with a BFH until it was "dished" enough to clear the taller shifter tower of the ZF. A little trick I learned from watching Jessie James making gas tanks on TV ;)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HUH?!? I know I never had to do this - the bellhousing pattern is the same if the ZF-5 and T-19 are both the diesel versions. Sounds like you might've installed a gasser ZF-5 in yours...

Plus 2 on that. They (if they are diesel trannies) have the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing.

Heath

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F#%!!!!!!! i almost had a zf5 transmission on ebay but i clicked bid one second to late and i would have won too

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F#%!!!!!!! i almost had a zf5 transmission on ebay but i clicked bid one second to late and i would have won too
You need to post more info about your truck and your location (at least what state you live in). It will make it a lot easier for folks to help you and maybe even refer you to other members with parts for sale...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a want add posted in the Marketplace. If anybody around me has a ZF they want to part with, will trade for a C6 + cash.

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to make sure, could i get a 2wd zf5 and change and the tail shaft and case?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna say no to that. But I'll let somebody with actual ZF experience speak for me.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Now's your chance to ditch the 4x4 ZF and go for a 2wd with a divorced T-case like mine.:Thumbs Up 2wd ZF's are cheaper and the 205's are killer - almost indestructable.-Drool

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking about going down to the junkyard and get the 2wd zf5 out of a powerstroke and get a 4x4 one out of a 460 gas and sit them beside each other and swap parts, they dont have a 4x4 zf5