ZF5 Swap

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my clutch went out on my 85' and the transmission has some problems, i was just thinking, instead of putting money into the T19 now and swap in a zf5 later, y not just do it now, i just wanted to clarify somethings about the swap, i already read the tech article, Would i have to get a different starter to use on the Zf 5? What is so bad about the DMF? Should my transfer case bolt to the transmission?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yes the starter is the same and yes the transfercase will bolt up. in fact there is only about an 1" length differance between a ZF-5 and T-19.

i personally dont think the DMF are that bad but expensive $$$$ to replace. there also are more moving parts in them that can wear and cause problems. the SMF are cheeper work well and just your simple standard looking clutch set up.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the starters are all the same. I recall reading that you'll need a different spacer plate to go between the engine and the ZF from your donor vehicle. The DMF is a legendary source of controversey here. It supposedly only causes problems if you have other issues with the engine or drivetrain, but it does amplify these noises and eventually an imbalance in the engine, rough idle or anything like that will kill it whereas other flywheels used in this application are more tolerant of things being less than perfect.

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks, does the speedometer cable read of the transmission and if it does would i have to get the cable from a zf5 to work with my speedo

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines a 4x4 i dont think my speedo reads of the transfer case
I may be wrong, but it sure seems to me that is where it hooked up.
I can tell you that there were no modifications necessary. The T-19 and ZF-5 both had the same type of speedo connection and the cable hooked up just fine...

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T-19 has a different bolt pattern at the bell housing than the ZF-5 speed.
You WILL need to use the engine plate that the ZF-5 speed uses.
Been there done that....

Clutch uses a different size spline on ZF than T-19 so you will need a clutch and pressure plate for the ZF. The clutch slave cylinder is the same for both. The throwout bearing is different, the clutch lever [inside the bell housing ] is different for ZF. You will need the rear cross member from a ZF truck... the T-19 can be made to work but it's "easier". The sheet metal plate that goes around the shift lever is different for the ZF... get that also.
Good luck,

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the transmission that im looking at does not come with the engine plate would i be able to get the plate off a powerstroke

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9 and 7.3 use the same bolt pattern to hold the backing plate so a Powersmoke plate should work..... there was a change somewhere around 97/98/99 when they started offering the ZF 6 speed... check your junk yard for details on interchange... there may have been a change after 94 but I'm not positive on that..

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was gonna get the plate from one at the junkyard, i cant use the transmission because it a 2WD, i might get the clutch out of it to if its good so i have a clutch to use if i dont have enough money to buy a new one

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been there done that recently on a used clutch...not quite as great of an idea as it seems like. Just get the cheap factory version from ebay or at autoone, should be fine unless you're towing big, in which case you need to plunk down the money for a real solid clutch like a South Bend or LUK type. But that's just my opinion.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I bought my ZF with a used LUK clutch, been in the truck since February and it works great...If it's not worn out then run it and get your money's worth.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good point, mine already had a good bit of wear on it, it might not have really been the problem but it wasn't helping things to work together right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online