zf5 question

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have trouble shifting into 1st and 2nd after the truck has been drove over 20 miles or so. Up shifts fine just a pain when downshifting or sitting in nuetral then trying to put it in 1st 2nd or reverse. First thing when fired up its fine, then longer its drove the harder it gets to put in those gears. Maybe I just need to change trans fluid or is my pressure plate getting wore out and not dis-engauging all the way when it gets hot? looking for any advice before I tear my syncs up forcing into gear.

johnboggs21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you change the fluid, make sure you put in the right stuff. IIRC the zf5 takes ATF and NOT gear lube.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your pedal and see how worn the clevis end is on your clutch master cylinder rod. My truck was getting a little hard to shift and then I got under the dash and saw that the plastic bushing was destroyed, and yes, that little bit of slack made a huge difference.

After that, I'd make sure you trans is full, and yes, it should be ATF.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trans has correct amount of tranny fluid. I have noticed my clutch pedal seems to be almost on the floor before it will dis-enguage and soon as I let up just a hint its grabbing to go when it is in gear.Maybe I will crawl under the dash and check out the bushing then. Thanks

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the firewall for movement? Yours may be cracked around the clutch master cylinder, very common problem.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I checked that and seems to no issue on the firewall. I did find that the clutch pedal linkage under the dash had some play in it concerning the plastic piece that holds the push rod to the pedal assembly. Seems like it will not stay shoved on all the way and the plastic is worn some. I'm sure that is a dealer item or junkyard. I havn't crawled under the truck today to look at anything else that is hooked to the trans. Its hot today. Funny thing is its fine when you first get in the truck, just gets worse longer that I drive. Seems have something to do with the tranny fluid temp. I know thats its just fluid for lubrication but wierd its fine when truck is cold. I'm going to change the fluid tonight or tomorrow and see if that helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08