ZF5 INFO....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm buying a bunch of parts this week including an entire 5spd F150 4x4 and a diesel 2wd 5spd trans for $200.....I was going to gut the F150 for the manual -tilt steering column, pedals and clutch M/C to give me some of the ZF5 parts I'd need for a E4OD to 5spd swap when my E4OD blows up (it will happen eventually)....Will the F150 stuff work for me with the diesel 5spd?....What should I look for in a flywheel and etc to complete the swap? Are the trans spacer plates the same? A little list of things that the F150 5spd donor won't supply would be great.;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Pretty much what I figured. Are the internals of a gasser ZF5 the same as a diesel ZF5??...I'm talking gears and shafts, just trying to decide on wether to keep or sell the gasser 5spd.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much what I figured. Are the internals of a gasser ZF5 the same as a diesel ZF5??...I'm talking gears and shafts, just trying to decide on wether to keep or sell the gasser 5spd.
The gasser 5 speed is almost definitely not a ZF. Mazda built the "light-duty" 5 speed manuals that went into the 1/2 ton trucks...I could be mistaken, but I don't think the ZF was used at all in F-150's.

Completely different animal...

Even if it were a ZF, though, the gears would be different...the gas tranny used different gear ratios. I would imagine the shafts being the same, though...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
While I can't say I have been under everyone of them, I have NEVER seen a ZF under an F150 either.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to know, since I probably can find a manual F150 or F-series gas pickup to steal the floor pan and pedals from for my t19 conversion.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Ok, the gasser 5spd goes for sale..LOL....What years should I be looking at for a flywheel? Will my E4OD block spacer work with the ZF? I want to start rounding up whatever I'll need so I'll be prepared for the dooms day.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're referring to the bellhousing pattern adapter plate on the back of the block, it's the same between the two trannies. As to flywheels...any year that used the IDI and the ZF will work. I'd recommend a single-mass flywheel conversion, but that's up to you. But, any flywheel meant for an '87-'94 truck should work.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm buying a bunch of parts this week including an entire 5spd F150 4x4 and a diesel 2wd 5spd trans for $200.....I was going to gut the F150 for the manual -tilt steering column, pedals and clutch M/C to give me some of the ZF5 parts I'd need for a E4OD to 5spd swap when my E4OD blows up (it will happen eventually)....Will the F150 stuff work for me with the diesel 5spd?....What should I look for in a flywheel and etc to complete the swap? Are the trans spacer plates the same? A little list of things that the F150 5spd donor won't supply would be great.;Sweet

OK here is the scoop as I know it. I have seen a ZF in both a Bronco and a F150 . The difference from the Mazda M5OD and the ZF is easy as pie to tell...ONE you can read the tag on the sides of them:rotflmao or....

Look at the Diesel ZF and if the gear box is the same as the F150 then they are both ZF's that being said I mean the trussing on the case is it a square waffle pattern or Diamond waffle pattern. I cannot remember which is which I think the ZF is the Diamond waffle trussing on the case, thus that would make an M5OD a Square waffle pattern if I am not mistaken.

As for the F150 trans if it is indeed a ZF then no it will not bolt to a diesel what so ever.

I do not know if the Main shaft is the same size with the small block ZF's or not. you'll have to measure and count splines I guess to determine that yourself.

JM2CW

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
easy
Single Mass Flywheel = good
Dual Mass Flywheel = bad

There's a good reason, but I don't know it, but the other guys will chime in I'm sure.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Single mass flywheel?....Sounds pricey...LOL....Not sure what the difference is?
There's a lot of debate over which is the better choice. I'll try my best to give you a condensed version, but you're really best off searching the forum for some of the threads dealing with the subject.

I'll start with the dual mass flywheel. This was what Ford installed from the factory, and is still what they recommend. It's actually two pieces of metal. One piece of metal bolts to the crankshaft; the other has the clutch bolted on to it. They're connected to one another by 6 sets of heavy-duty springs, and the idea is to dampen some of the vibration from the engine so the vibration is not carried to the tranny. However, it is possible for the springs to break, and if they do, the end result is two separate pieces of metal, and no way for the engine to transmit power to the tranny...and you're stuck. They're also ridiculously expensive to replace with a new unit ($1200 from www.partsamerica.com, compared to about $500 for a single-mass flywheel).

The single mass flywheel is far simpler. It's a single piece of metal that the clutch bolts onto and that bolts onto the crankshaft. It's lighter, less expensive (compared to buying a new DMFW), and stronger. However, at low engine speeds, you'll get a noise (commonly known as gear rollover) from the tranny with an SMFW that is generally not present on a DMFW. Also, it has been hypothesized that the added vibration from the engine that isn't dampened by a DMFW will eventually have a long-term negative effect on the tranny internals. To my knowledge, however, that has not been proven.

There's also a third option. If you can find a used DMFW in questionable condition, but with a good clutch surface (IIRC it's not advised to resurface a DMFW clutch surface, although I don't know why and may be mistaken), you could try a Lucky Mod. Personally, I'm not a fan of this method, because the end result is relying on a number of fairly small Grade-8 bolts to transfer your engine's power to the tranny (and, if the bolts break, you're just as dead in the water as if the springs had failed), but others have tried this with success.

I went with a single-mass flywheel myself, and haven't had a problem. However, I've only driven my truck about 15K miles since switching transmissions, so I cannot speak either way about the long-term effects.

The first two pictures are of an old DMFW...you can see both sides of it. The third picture shows the clutch side of a SMFW, and the fourth compares the thickness of a ZF flywheel with that of a flywheel from a T-19. I've heard that someone tried to use a T-19 flywheel with a ZF, but I don't remember if it was successful or not, and in any event, I think it's probably going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Attachments

• dmfw engine.jpg
    dmfw engine.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 13
  • dmfw clutch.jpg
    dmfw clutch.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Trans Swap 006.jpg
    Trans Swap 006.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Flywheels.jpg
    Flywheels.jpg