ZF5 Gear Noise

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
My 5 Speed has a SMF, the pilot bearing fits in there real loose, you can pull it in and out by hand, is this a defective flywheel? I need to get the part number cause im really not sure what brand it is...Anyways Im not sure if thats causing the problems but when I take off in each gear I get what sounds like gear to gear noise, it only does it when I first shift into each gear and does it a lot at low RPM's...Could changing the fluid fix it. I hear about using straight 30 weight but what brand and how much?

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that the SMF will cause gear noise at low RPM. I know mine does, has done this for years and the tranny works fine. Maybe someone with more info will chime in?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
If I had a ZF5, all I would use is synthetic ATF in order to avoid synchro problems.

It's been years since I've done a clutch but dosen't the pilot bearing fit in so tight you have to use a little step drill type thing with a zerk fitting to pull it.:dunno

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my last pilot bearing I had to tap it into place. It wasnt at all loose.

As for the gear noise, I have a little with mine when she gets lugged, but under normal driving theres no noise.

I think I have 3 qts of regular atf with a quart of amsoil for fluid.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
For the through -out bearing I would use green loctite (sleeve retaining compound) to hold it in if it were not tight. Is it a new bearing?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Might be worth it to have a machine shop bore it oversize and make a new insert to bring the hole size back to the correct interference fit....As for the rollover noise - there is none in my 91 - I think it's because the engine runs so smooth....Now the 92 runs rough when cold - it needs an IP and injectors....It has a lot of gear noise in the low RPM's....Once the engine warms up and smooths out the noise is much less noticable.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 5 Speed has a SMF, the pilot bearing fits in there real loose, you can pull it in and out by hand, is this a defective flywheel? I need to get the part number cause im really not sure what brand it is...Anyways Im not sure if thats causing the problems but when I take off in each gear I get what sounds like gear to gear noise, it only does it when I first shift into each gear and does it a lot at low RPM's...Could changing the fluid fix it. I hear about using straight 30 weight but what brand and how much?

You may want to try another pilot bearing. That sounds weird. You want the pilot to hold the shaft in place. If it doesnt hold it firmly then you are putting a load on your input bearing and thats probly what your hearing. They make two pilots that I have seen a torington needle bearing and a bronse type. Was the old one shot to hell? It may have wallowed out the hole for it in the flywheel.

As for gear noise.......it actually says in the ZF manual that I have that some gear noise is acceptable.