zf5 clutch noises

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my way to school my clutch started making a rubbing scraping rattleing sound and the shifter started to shake. The truck has an perfection smf conversion and has always been a little on the loud side but has been making more noise lately. Any ideas on this before I drop the trans a 3rd time? Clutch still grabs fine and doesn't slip.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What in the Trans would cause it? The noise is coming from the bell housing. And it makes a squeaking noise when taking off sound like a squeaking wheel.

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the trans/clutch shield cover thing take it off and try it dont know why it would start out of the blue but the clutch grinds against it and makes that noise. it started it on mine after i stuck the zf in and took it off and it stoped so i tryed fixing but never really had any luck getting to stop just let it take care of its self about week it quit. only thing my shifter never shook i guess but worth a try before pulling trans

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have the cover on it didn't think to grab it from junk yard but thanks for reminding me I get that cover this weekend while my transmission is out. Could it be a bearing bad by some chance? I remember while sitting at a light with the clutch out in neutral it would sqeak but when I put a little pressure on the pedal it would stop. The shake is pretty hard it shakes my trans shifter and case shifter and it was bad enough I quit driven it. Almost feels like something is out of balance or not spinning true

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't know pull it and check it out i guess. pilot bearing be next guess maybe don't know sorry aint no help. know how fun it is to pull those trannys after you did it that many times already lol ive pulled mine three times too the last time was the easiest about though:) let us know what ya find anyways

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No thread is a little dated but I pulled transmission out and pulled clutch and pressure plate and checked all bearings. Checked input shaft on Trans and checked for loose fly wheel bolts. I think my noises were because of my own stupidity when I installed at my buddy's house we didn't tourgue anything just cranked it down tight so my result was my pressure plate being over tighten caused the fingers to protrude farther than it was supposed to and the throw out bearing was riding on then at all times. Didn't do much harm but glad I took it apart to see it and fix it. The other thing I found was my pinion nut backed out for the second time and the motor mount bolts are missing on the left side and so was one of the nuts on the crossmember that attaches to the frame for the Trans. Fixed all except for motor mount bolts because haven't found a way to get motor lined up with the holes. Truck is back together and running ok but still has a driveline vibration feedback through shifter and it feels like u joint or pinion damage.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about grammer my smart phone isn't that smart

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The throwout bearing rides against the fingers all the time on the hydraulic clutch systems on these trucks. So don't lose clutch pedal travel trying to fix that.

Also remember with the SMF flywheel, the engine is tied directly to the tranny now. So you will get lots of noises, and anything going on with the engine will come right through to the tranny. So if the shifter wiggles and the tranny makes an odd noise while sitting in the driveway not moving and revving the engine, you may have a miss in the engine. A miss in the engine will transmit right through to the tranny gears and sound terrible.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bell housing bolts are tight n were tight when I took them out.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it to the bottom of fill hole with atf. I was wondering about overfilling or changing to gear oil.