ZF5 case gasket?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ZF5 in the crew cab has a slow leak between the main case and the rear case. I've looked and looked and can't find a new gasket. The trans shop that replaced the worn reverse gear/slider/synchro said he couldn't get one and the silicone isn't cutting it. Anyone know where to get one?

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, when I put the Gear Vendors unit on my BW1345, which involved replacing the case half, the instructions said just to use blue Permatex. That's been holding up fine for probably like 15 years now. :dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What sucks is there was a gasket at that junction and it didn't leak a drop before it was opened up for repair. It appears he did a nice job with the silicone and there are no gaps visable, but it still leaks. :dunno

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see how the silicone wouldn't work. As long as the mating surfaces were squeeky clean, it should be fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I can't see how the silicone wouldn't work. As long as the mating surfaces were squeeky clean, it should be fine.

These are my thoughts too. I really don't think a gasket was ever installed in this area. Wait around for towcat to chime in on this. If anyone knows the zf it would be him thats for sure. Its early yet on the west coast. He either hasn't gone to bed yet or hes just gone to bed. Around 1030am west coast time he will be up and around...:D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are my thoughts too. I really don't think a gasket was ever installed in this area. Wait around for towcat to chime in on this. If anyone knows the zf it would be him thats for sure. Its early yet on the west coast. He either hasn't gone to bed yet or hes just gone to bed. Around 1030am west coast time he will be up and around...:D

Trust me, there was a gasket there. Paper style. The edges of which where visable at the juction. I'd hate to pull that thing apart and re-silicone it just to have it leak again. But, if there is no gasket available through the aftermarket, then I have no choice.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath... Use a better grade of rtv. I really like the permatex ultra copper rtv. Getting parts clean is the best advice. It has never leaked when I have used it. My pan has never leaked using it and we know thats an oily area. Ford never used a oil pan gasket. They used their own rtv. So maybe someone before you made their own trans gasket and thats what you saw. If you take apart the trans look closey at the leaky area. You might have a reason for the leak. Hopefully you don't find a small crack in the mating surface. There might be a low spot but rtv should have filled that in easily... You do come up with some of the most diffucult problems sometimes don't you...:sly:D:angel:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USE ULTRA GREY.
Works awesome on low temp stuff . and if you want it to never leak due to sealant go to subaru and get the pink subyseal. AMAZING sealer.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And clean the surfaces with laquer thinner or ether, brakleen leaves a film.
What I do is spread it on with a finger then you know if it isnt gonna stick, my vw trans buddy was having leak issues till he started doing this, but he is ADD and that is a whole nother set of issues.LOL

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Gasket was NEVER used. I can show you the all ORIGINAL ZF in my 96) They got put together from the factory with anaerobic sealer. Locktite makes it. It ONLY cure with the absence of oxygen. It is some good stuff