ZF5 bearings

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have run into another snag. Since i put the ZF5 speed behind my cummins it has been making some nasty noises. I just got it all apart and 3 case bearings need to be replaced. Both counter shaft bearings and the main shaft output bearing. The 2 counter shaft bearings seem to be the same and i pulled this number off them SKF EK-2580-26-CL7C and for the output shaft bearing on the race it had TIMKEN 28521. I had this tranny apart once already for the same noise and replaced the input shaft bearing and little pocket bearing behind it thinking that was going to take care of it. My ? is where can i get these bearings via these numbers. It cost me 100$ for the first bearing and 1 seal from a tranny shop so before i go back there i was wondering if you guys could help me find these other 3 bearings. THANKS in advance.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Applied Industrial Technologies. They used to be known as Bearings Inc. I used them constantly and have been for decades nows. They can get almost anything or find the specs and get you something as good or better. The EK number sounds like a ford part number. The timken number should be orderable from any napa.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
thanks guys. when i type in the timken number all i seem to be able to find is the race and not the actuall bearing itself. the SKF number i cant find anything :dunno o well i guess ill just call the tranny shop again.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you should be able to find a bearing shop in your area that could easily look those numbers up. timken and skf are quite large companies and should be availible to any sort of dealer.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you would test this, but my ace Ford mechanic whom I would trust implicitly with a ZF-5 rebuild, tells me that those cases can stretch which makes them eat bearings..... ;Really Usually the result of prolonged heavy loads.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
well i am sure i know what caused it. i had the tranny out for about 3 months sitting in the back of my truck with a rag in the shifter hole. I took it to the pressure washer place and cleaned the hell out of it. After getting it installed i forgot about the pissible water in the tranny and ran it. It didnt make a peep of noise before i pulled the tranny 3 months ago. I drained the oil out of it and it was milk pink. Refilled and the tranny just makes nasty noises with the clutch out. Im looking at the 2 countershaft bearing races and they are really pitted and when i spin the shaft in the case it is loud.

i actually already had the tranny out once for the same noise. i thought it was the input shaft bearing and the pocket bearing so those got replaced. i over looked the other 3 bearings. got it all back in and it still made the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online