ZF-6 2WD Conversion to 88' 7.3

jibronee

Reaction score
Putting together a 88', 2WD work truck with 7.3 idi.

1. Will a 7.3-zf6 be a straight bolt in to my 88'-7.3? From scouring the forums, it seems like I would delete the thick, steel plate as the zf6 has a thicker bell housing flange?

2. Can I use the zf6 flywheel/clutch set up on my idi 7.3? Or will the SMF conversion be needed for an 88' 7.3?

3. Is there anyone that has done this swap? I know it can't just be a straight in swap, or can it?

Thanks,
Chris

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody will chime in with the details, but I think there was really no hearing advantage on the bottom or the top.

If it was me, I’d spend your time looking for a good ZF5, knowing you could pick close or wide ratio and use either a diesel (IDI or Powderchoke) or drilled/modified 460 gasoline version.

Do some more research, lots of details out there on all this. I think you’ll end up bank at the ZF5.

Good luck whichever way you go.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Its not a simple swap from what I've read.

The thickness of the adapter needs to go away, but them you're left with incompatible bolt patterns. Powerstroke flywheel doesn't fit the IDI.

If there's a strategy... (in theory) it's a thin custom plate, a same-thickness flywheel spacer, and move the starter a similar amount to mesh the flywheel.

jibronee

Reaction score
Lotzastuff, I want the zf6 to have 5 good usable gears + the granny 1st and granny reverse.

U2slow, I'm going to check my other truck to see how the 5speed bolts to the 1" spacer and to the block. W/o the spacer, what would the trans bolt to?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The IDI has a big round pattern on the block.

The 1" thick plate is an adapter on the IDI, but it's a 1" thick spacer on the powerstroke. The ZF5 is the same either way.

EDIT:

Last edited:

jibronee

Reaction score
U2slow, Thanks for the link; it pretty much sums up what needs to be done for zf6 onto 7.3idi.

I could make the stepped spacer for the top two bolts, but would send out a SMF to be redrilled to accept a PSD 13" pressure plate, disk, etc. Clutch master/slave could be figured out as well.

Only prob I see is no attachment for a speed drive. Any alternative for this?

Thanks again!!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
New vehicles take the speed off the rear axle. Might need a converter box to tune the signal. Dakota Digital, etc.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have a universal speedometer in my truck. It's generic and plugs into the cigarette lighter. It gets signal from GPS. There's no odometer, but I live without it.

jibronee

Reaction score
I'll check out what speedo options are available. I'd need a speedo for sure, and would like to use my original location, but could do w/o an odometer.

Thanks for info!!!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sorry I don't. I bought it on Ebay 5 or so years ago. I think I typed "GPS speedometer" in the search to come up with it. There's an awful lot of them that use a OBDII port. Naturally those are cheaper, but there's some that use the lighter for power like mine. You'll just have to look. You can probably find some on Amazon too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online