Zf-5

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm tired of the 4 speed on the highway and it's about time for a 5th gear, only problem is due to a recent standard transmission swap fad, all the zf's I can find are part of a "swap kit" that people want crazy money for... Or just rediculously overpriced ($1000 for a high mileage used zf), so I am thinking of going with a reman if I can with no core, or better yet maybe someone on here has one they would part with? haha. Any info on where to get a good reman or if you have one would be appreciated.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO the ZF5 is a worthwhile upgrade, but it's not going to come cheaply...I paid $500 for a ZF5 that needed to be rebuilt, and spent another $1000 getting it rebuilt. Those prices were very fair even in 2005, and I've easily recouped the cost of the transmission swap (a bit over $2K when adding in the clutch and various ancillaries) in fuel savings.

You might get lucky and find someone who doesn't know what he has, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up spending $2000 to $2500 after all's said and done. And, especially with fuel costing what it does, it is worth it!

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have one that I picked up with the transfer case and smf with a new clutch that I paid 350 for, unfortunately I parted ways with it, but the past few years a "good" transmission has been going for 500 to 800, and now that I'm in the market again they all disappear haha. A reman goes for like 1500 at advanced auto so I can't justify spending almost that on a used transmission

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$350 for a transmission, transfer case, and a clutch assembly...that was quite a steal!!

I'm sure something will pop up...if worse comes to worst and if you have space to store it, you can buy a complete truck, maybe with frame/body damage or a bad engine, and part it out...keep the transmission and whatever else you want and sell the rest ;Sweet

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a zf5-47 too, but it's long gone haha. Any idea on how difficult it is to drill out a 460 transmission? I have found several of those for around 500 but I'm hesitant about that. Would it be something I should have a machine shop do or just go at it with a drill?

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't much to drill out on the 460 zf5's, I have one lined up for my f250 in the spring when the flatdeck and dually axel get put on. The gearing is the only thing that may cause grief with a gas zf5 but if you gear your differentials accordingly I've heard it isn't too bad.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are brave and don't mind some work, you can buy a used truck with the tranny you want. I paid a $1000 for a wrecked truck, got the tranny and everything else I needed, and by the time I sold the wheels and other parts off of it, I had very little in my zf swap.

If you go ahead and spend 2500-3000 on a truck that is not wrecked, pull the zf out of it, put your tranny in the other truck and then re-sell it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
And does the BW1345 transfer case have the same bolt pattern/spline count as the 1356 that came in the ZF trucks? Just to clarify for those, including mysef; who plan on leaving their existing 1345 in place for the ZF swap.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And does the BW1345 transfer case have the same bolt pattern/spline count as the 1356 that came in the ZF trucks? Just to clarify for those, including mysef; who plan on leaving their existing 1345 in place for the ZF swap.
Yes it does. I re-used the BW1345 that was behind my T-19 when the ZF went in; bolted in place like it was meant to be there ;Sweet Only modification I had to do was to cut a hole in the ZF floor pan insert for the 1345 shift lever. For that matter, I was able to reuse my driveshafts with no cutting or modifications; the T-19/1345 and the ZF/1345 are exactly the same length ;Sweet

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be patient, ZF5s are around and plentiful out here on the west coast. Two things you should consider:

1) as Franklin2 suggested, buying a complete truck (I love the non-smog passing 460s :D ) is a great idea as it seems you can literally scrap the leftovers for $400-500 depending on the configuration, and you get to fulfill your secret hoarding fetish (warning: I am not encouraging ANYBODY to save anything with red interior)

2) Pic-n-Pull does the 50% off holidays. Ever scouted out an engine and transmission and then gotten a 12 pack and two buddies to yard out an engine or transmission? I see you are from back East, so maybe a thermos full of coffee drowned in Baileys or Kahlua is more practical during the colder holidays, but you get my point. Half price junkyard hopping is a great outing ;Sweet

Good luck and again: be patient

Last edited:

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well of course after posting this I would find a truck, there is an 87 f250 with a 5 speed a few towns over, rotted to heck with a motor that doesn't run. $500 and it's mine, as long as it's still there on Thursday. I'm going to use my transfer case though because I like the fixed yoke 208 better than that slip yoke nonsense

Last edited:

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2) Pic-n-Pull does the 50% off holidays. Ever scouted out an engine and transmission and then gotten a 12 pack and two buddies to yard out an engine or transmission? I see you are from back East, so maybe a thermos full of coffee drowned in Baileys or Kahlua is more practical during the colder holidays, but you get my point. Half price junkyard hopping is a great outing ;Sweet

Good luck and again: be patient
I like the idea, but for some reason even with all the rust around here you don't see these in junk yards, mostly because the only yards around pull parts that they know sell quick then crush the vehicle, and good luck finding a yard that you can actually pull your own parts,or even walk around, I've only heard story's of those around here.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and good luck finding a yard that you can actually pull your own parts,or even walk around, I've only heard story's of those around here.

So you have the "automotive recycling centers" as opposed to "junkyards" :D

I have a pretty hard and fast rule that if I can't walk the yard, I can't spend any money at that establishment. I've never had anybody not produce a verbal or written release of liability, but it's interesting nonetheless that folks want you to buy something that's "not new" without being able to "inspect" it prior to buying it. It's unfortunate that lawyers have even managed to ruin junkyarding in this country. As a buddy of mine likes to say: "F**king Lawyers......."

Nrliftedranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i fully agree with you.. lotza people have destroyed he opportunity to go on the hunts... some of these morons think they will navigate these yards in sandals and without a care in the world... the best salvage yards i deal with are old establishments that are somewhat picky who they let in the back but if you show that you know what your talking about and dont look complete idiot they will usually give you a decent price and let ya look around

ive seen a few decent zfs around ohio 300-500 range diesel units there not that difficult to rebuild either

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yes it does. I re-used the BW1345 that was behind my T-19 when the ZF went in; bolted in place like it was meant to be there ;Sweet Only modification I had to do was to cut a hole in the ZF floor pan insert for the 1345 shift lever. For that matter, I was able to reuse my driveshafts with no cutting or modifications; the T-19/1345 and the ZF/1345 are exactly the same length ;Sweet

Oh really?!? Thats good news! I always thought the ZF was longer and thus requiring the driveshafts to be altered accordingly. Learn something new everyday!!!