ZF-5 S42 tailshaft swap

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I have a 2x4 ZF laying in the garage that I just bought and want to swap it into my truck because my reverse bit the dust a while ago. Only problem is my truck is 4x4. My question is, How hard is it to swap the 4x4 tailshaft onto the 2x4 trans? I will be using the same T-case as I was before.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I have the tail housing and output shaft for a 4X4 conversion and want to do the same thing. I asked this very same question on here a month ago and got nothing. Good luck.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
All the guts have to come out the front of the case to get the tailshaft out to make the swap.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never done it, but like Ron said, it is supposed to be a big hairy deal. My reverse didn't work correctly either. I just took it to a local transmission shop, I had my hands full with the crew cab project and adding a trans teardown/rebuild was too much. I cost me $800 to get it fixed. I needed a new reverse gear, reverse slider, reverse synchro, and I had new seals put in it as well.

If it is just the reverse giving you issues, you may just want to have someone swap the part from the 2x4 trans to yours IF YOU ARE SURE THAT TRANSMISSION'S REVERSE WAS WORKING PERFECTLY. If not, just get new parts. Mine shifted into reverse just fine on the shop floor. But, when it was in the truck with a load on it, it wouldn't go into reverse, or it would immediately pop out of reverse.

Heath

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Why the hell can't anything I do ever work? Seriously, I read about you guys doing something or I watch someone do something, then I try it, all hell breaks loose from there on out and not in a good way :puke:-cuss-cuss:mad:

White Elephant

Reaction score
Dog catcher is right. all the guts gotta come out and ya gotta split the front half and rear half of the case. And if ya decide to swap out gears then ya gotta get em off the main shafts of both trannys. Then put them together accordingly using the good stuff in the tranny goin in your truck.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been into a few zf5s and to help you out with your question, there easy to take apart, but that's where the "easy" stops. you have to press everything from the main shaft. and if you dont do it correctly than your just breaking parts. if i had both transmissions in frt of me and had to do it, i would, but if you haven't done any tranny work before then this tranny is not the one to learn one.
but on a side note if you want to use that 2wd tranny i can sell you a divorced mount NP205 transfer case.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I would try to trade your 2wd ZF5 for a 4wd ZF5.
Even if you had to throw in a hundred or something.
Somebody needs a 2wd ZF.
If you cannot find a trade, sell it, then buy the one you need.

There has been a few times lately that I had an extra zf5. I have sold every one for $500.