ZF-5 Maintenance before swap?

PapaJammie

Reaction score
Alright fellas, I have everything I need gathered up and ready to go to replace my old worn out C6 with a ZF-5. (Except pedals) Is there any maintenance I should perform before the transmission goes into the truck? (i.e. TOB, clutch, etc.) I have given some thought to doing a SMF conversion but I don't think I'll be going that route with this truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go ahead and replace the throw out bearing and the clutch it's not that expensive and it's already out. Might as well change the oil while you're at it.

What's an smf conversion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If the DMF has any play, I would just replace it with a SMF while it's out.
Inspect/replace clutch, TOB, and pilot bearing.
Don't forget to grease the fork and TOB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like was mentioned, you had better check the dmf. They wear out just like the clutch does.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide to go with a smf swap please don't make the mistake I did and buy a lower end kit.
I have the power torque brand smf and clutch kit I got new for 330 bucks. The clutch only has 4 springs in the friction disk to help with vibration and initial torque impact on the drive line.
It needs at least 2 more springs. My zf5 growls very audibly at low rpms where it never did with the dmf. It's works just fine just very annoying when it's being lugged around at low speeds.
The southbend seems the way to go with the smf swap from what I have read on here. You get what you pay for is the short version of this reply.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online