ZD1 glow plugs

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If your starter a gear reduction type??? If not you need to install one... With a good cable setup and clean connections you wont be able to count the starting rpms. Its that fast... Also its really easy to convert your older ZD1 plugs to the ZD9 plugs with the solid state controller... Then you wont burn out plugs...

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the ZD9s lasting better. I burn out about one per year, and my stock controller cooks them for about 15 seconds when it's cold outside.

I know it sucks when your rig doesn't start, but I wouldn't give up on your IDI. Gassers sure do start easy in the winter, but remember how much better the IDI is the other 10 months out of the year. Get a good starter and upgrade your glow plug circuit and you may "fall in love with your IDI again". When I have to tow something with a gasser truck all I can think about is how I ever lived without a diesel.

Good luck in whatever direction you go.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I find the thread for the 6v to 12v conversion on the glow plugs? What does the solid state controller do? I put manual gp switches in all my idi's, do I need that controller or can I just buy 12v gps and thread em right in? Thanks

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE

Well I installed a new set of ZD 1's and recharged the batts. The truck sits around alot and gets alot of short starts to move it around. I think I was never giving the batterys a good charge cause of all the short starts. Well with a new set of plugs and a good charge on the batterys, she starts in 5 degree weather! Granted it doesnt like it, stumbles a little for the first few seconds but she started. I also installed a tank type heater for a safety measure and let me tell you what, it works so much better than any other block heater I have ever had! Im really impressed with it. One question though, all my new plugs ohmed out at 1.3 ohms right outta the bag. I know ZD 9's ohm out at .5 ohms but is this normal for ZD 1's?