ZD1 glow plugs

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just learned that 12 seconds on a ZD1 is too much. Now I have 8 burned out plugs!!!!-cuss I just replaced them a month ago, GRRRR. 5 degrees here and my truck in the sig will not start. Been through everything in the starting system I can think of and just wont start this cold. Good batts, cable, new plugs, timed at around 8.5 degrees, no go. I cant use the block heater being a 1984, and I dont have a place to plug it in at work. Guess im going back to a gasser or getting another cummins. Hate to give up the ghost but a truck is only as good as its reliabilty. Just had to vent.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry we had to share the same experience.....check out the 12v gp thread...it will take you a little longer to start, but you will be tough to burn them up

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit it with a whiff of ether, that's how mine's been started for the last couple days. Small mist is all it needs, about 5 seconds of cranking and you're going.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit it with a whiff of ether, that's how mine's been started for the last couple days. Small mist is all it needs, about 5 seconds of cranking and you're going.
I dont like the idea of using ether, I have heard horror stories about it. Not to mention I hate being dependant on something to get her to start, odds are when I need it the most it wont be there, and I will be stranded. Im thinking of trading her for a big block, I need the power to tow otherwise a windsor would be fine. I dont know maybe a little time away will let me cool down a bit. Im just really disgusted at this point.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, ether is a last resort. like I said, read the 12v glow plug thread...I know alot of the guys swear by the beru's, but I had the exact same experience you did...toasted 4 in a month. tested and swapped to the Bosch 80034's and have not had an issue since...they are 12v plugs (factory uses 6v hence the quick burn out), so it can take up to 25 secs when its down to 30*, but I like knowing I dont have the power to kill them even if i sit on the button for 10 mins.

As far as a big block swap...think about the milage and overall lifespan....yeah the 460's are pretty solid, but it comes with a much hire total cost of ownership compared to an idi

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, ether is a last resort. like I said, read the 12v glow plug thread...I know alot of the guys swear by the beru's, but I had the exact same experience you did...toasted 4 in a month. tested and swapped to the Bosch 80034's and have not had an issue since...they are 12v plugs (factory uses 6v hence the quick burn out), so it can take up to 25 secs when its down to 30*, but I like knowing I dont have the power to kill them even if i sit on the button for 10 mins.

As far as a big block swap...think about the milage and overall lifespan....yeah the 460's are pretty solid, but it comes with a much hire total cost of ownership compared to an idi

The prob is that 0 degrees and below is common here in wisconsin and I need some thing that starts all the time every time. Im getting sick of relying on the plug in to get her going. I went through this last year with a 91 7.3 I had, would not start below 10 degrees without the plug. After I sold that truck I swore up and down I wouldnt get another IDI but here we go again. Im missing my 82 351 windsor, in the 5 years I owned I NEVER had to worry bout it starting or plugging it in. And the whole cost of operating thing has been beat to death and in the end it turns out even. Ive researched that up and down. Im just really disgusted at this point. What really ****** me off is my father jumps in the cummins this morning, not plugged in at all EVER, and within a millisecond it seems, its up and running!! Not a faulter or a hitch, and he just smiles at me!!!!!:mad:

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, would start at 14 but not -4. just dident have the cranking RPM but it would try. and i though my starter was good but then the solenoid craped out and i put in a new bosh starter and now she rely spins over. where i though their could be no improvement. I bet she will fire now at -4. Also my friends 1st gen cummins fired right up at -4 no problem so I think the addition of a grid heater to our engine will do wonders in the sub zero temps

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting the engine to turn is the biggest issue; first thing to check is the battery cables....ford cables tend to corrode from the inside out. When I had mine out in the desert a had a few days where at 10* she would turn very slow, and downriight would not start. same batteries, same starter, new cables, and it would fire off no problem.

I will admit the cummins do seem to fire much easier in the cold, but an IDI that is functioning as it should will still kick off no problem...I do undertsand your frustration, the one time mine just would not go it was 15* and I was 50 miles from anything (including power to plug her in)

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use ether, it's very "addictive" for the engine.

use compressed air or a vacuum to clean around the glow plugs, and then take one out at a time, hook a ground clip to the threaded part of the glow plug and leave the + wire on.
The get someone to turn on the key (DO NOT touch the tip of the glow plug) ..... the GP should get very hot instantly, if it doesn't, check and make sure there is power (12v) going to it and the connection is good.
If the wiring is good but no heat at the glow plug, then replace it.

Do this for all of them, first.

there is another way to check them....and that's by using an ohm meter across the tip and threaded part of the plug, and check the wiring with a voltmeter.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a complete GP diagnostic check...not that hard, all's needed is a 12v test light and a multi meter.

PS only give it s 'sniff' of either when the GP's are off!

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
Do the 7.3 controler swap and get new starter (not a rebuld) these starters will keep on crankin even after there burnt,but it wont turn fast enough to fire an IDI:dunno

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely went through the glow plug system this fall, and have done the manual switch mod. 12 seconds burned them all out. Tested them all with the test light method. Trust me they are toast. Nothing like throwing a hundred bucks out the window. Just spent another 100 today on plugs and another 40 on a tank heater. It will start fine down to about 15 degrees, anything below that forget it without plugging it in. Problem is that I dont have a place to plug it in at work. Its very frustrating knowing that there will be times when I gotta worry bout it starting cuz I got nowhere to plug it it. Gassers got there place, this might be one of them.

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Where in wisconsin do you live? I live in wisconsin rapids, and when im at work i just have my $50 dollar craigslist generator in the back of my truck. i go out the last two hours and start it up. I found that to be the easiest way to start mine when it gets cold. P.S. I have a couple Nice F-150's id be willin to trade to.:sly

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where in wisconsin do you live? I live in wisconsin rapids, and when im at work i just have my $50 dollar craigslist generator in the back of my truck. i go out the last two hours and start it up. I found that to be the easiest way to start mine when it gets cold. P.S. I have a couple Nice F-150's id be willin to trade to.:sly
What year 1/2 tons we talking bout? More details, pics possibly?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have gone through everything else you hit the same wall i did....they put 6v glow plugs in a 12v systems.....woeks great to heat them fast, and burn them out just as quick....going to 12v plugs it takes a little longer to cycle, but you cant burn them up, and I have yet to find a time when I have had to worry about it not starting.

Seriously, check out the 12v gp thread...this is exactly why several of us have gone this route