Yet another radiator question

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without being able to weigh the original radiator does anyone know what the radiator weighs?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd estimate around 60-70 lb dry. Not too heavy but definitely enough to be awkward, especially getting it up high enough to clear the front clip if you're removing it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some years back I removed my replacement dimple core 3 row I was forced to buy in okalhoma city. I used the wrong coolant and it plugged up. So I had a custom 5 row made up. While removing the damaged 3 row it nearly killed me it was so heavy with crap. Right then and there I started using distilled water but not a 50% mix ratio. Closer to 35

5.. Water transfers heat better than coolant and anything more that 50% will not cool preperly.. Unless your using the Evans Waterless Coolant and zero pressure on the system... That stuff is magic in the cooling systems.. Just ask anyone running it. It will not boil off creating hot spots above the compustion areas like al the others can do.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd estimate around 60-70 lb dry. Not too heavy but definitely enough to be awkward, especially getting it up high enough to clear the front clip if you're removing it.

Thanks for the info. I already had it replaced and asked the shop to return it before they finished putting the new one in and when I went to pick up the truck after business hours they did not have the old one with the truck. Yesterday as I was making my daily delivery's of on road diesel I was at a junk yard and seen that the price of radiators is $1.65 per pound. That's a good chunk of change to get for the old one so I will be calling the shop on Monday and asking for it again. Then I plan on taking it to the yard when I make another delivery on Wednesday and turn it in for scrap. I'm hoping that the shop just did not give it back because they mistakenly forgot and will return it. If not then I will call the bank and have them hold back payment on the CC until it is resolved.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around 48 - 55 lbs...I just scrapped two tall narrows and a wide short...so depends on which one...I got good coin for the three that went towards my new Chamion

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as it turns out there was a slight communication problem. I asked the owner to put it under the front of the truck because I did not know when i was going to be able to get the truck and paid for the job earlier in the day while i was with my work truck. The owners son put it on the passenger side and i did not see it. The owner called yesterday morning after i already picked the truck up and said I left it behind and that he would put it behind the dumpster to pick up. It is now in the back of the truck waiting to be turned into cash.

The total job cost me 706 with sales tax, the coolant and the radiator. He only charged $150.00 in labor which i think is reasonable and the radiator was $460.00. The new radiator is all aluminum including the tanks. The only thing that i see that might be a problem is the radiator cap is smaller in size than the original one and it it had to be replaced in the future where I would be able to get one. Overall I would give this place a five star rating and I had no dealings with them in the past and found them on the internet with being just 15 minutes away from where my sister lives of which I am still staying with after Sandy blew through so i figured that even if it was leaking I could still drive it there after filling it with water and would not have to worry about over heating. That plan also worked out really well.

If anyone is looking for a good radiator shop in NJ let me know and I willput you in contact with this place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online