WVO

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals,

long time since last my last post.

Happy thanksgiving everyone, Its good to be back amoungst the brother hood.

My question is this,

since I have dual tanks and can switch between the two, cant I just install a heater in one tank compartment maybe also a remote thermometer and pump in the recycled wvo?

Thanks guys :hail

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yes You can, but You have t make sure You heat it well. One electric heating element is not enough sometimes, depending where You live. Also You need the temp gauge before the IP not in the tank.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also heat the lines. at a minimum insulate them. If you get them full of cold WVO you will not be happy.
I have heated the pickup in the tank (home made) heated lines, and filter. My changeover valve is as close to the the IP as possible. to reduce purge time.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
So in addition to heating the tank, I need to insulate and heat the lines. would that be enough? I don't really mind the purging time. How have your trucks been treating you'all on wvo?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can do a hose IN a hose for the fuel lines, You must heat the tank and You also need a heat exchanger before the fuel filter. To all that add a couple things to make sure temps will the high even at the coldest days and You'll be fine.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
In your climate , you shouldn't need to heat the tank. Just run coolant lines back and forth to the tank along the fuel line and wrap them with something either insulation wrap or hose protector sleeving and a heated filter with an electric like the Veg Therm right before the injection pump and you'll be fine.
If you want to heat the tank without surgery, get a large pad heater:http://www.greaseworks.org/index.php?module=pncommerce&func=categoryview&CategoryID=14
You can get one of their smallest pad heaters and make a band heater for your main filter for about $55 ( they sell them already made for about $100, but all it is , is their $50 heater and a $3 pipe band clamp from a plumbing store , Takes about ten minutes to make)

I'm going to rig a similar setup on mine, I currently have an IDI diesel car ( '86 Volvo 740 td ) running a single tank setup that starts on 100% veg 3 seasons and blend 30-50% with diesel or unleaded during the winter ( You most likely would not want to try starting cold on veg with a Stanadyne pump, the Bosch pumps are a lot stouter ) It curently has just a coolant heated filter ( Davco 235 ) then a small coolant fuel heater, then an electric band heater on the main filter and a Veg Therm right before the pump. I get 180 deg veg to the pump within about a minute. No tank heater. The electrics cycle off once the coolant heaters get up to temp. you can see some pictures here, the last one in the series is a good engine compartment shot: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLa...e=fromshare&Ux=0&UV=940983303279_461170275107
No coolant lines along the fuel line, although it will be getting that soon as I have an Espar fuel fired block heater for it so I'll be able to pre heat with that and start on 100% veg year round.

I used to have a Mercedes 300sd single tank setup and it would start down to 12 deg at 70%veg with one cycle of the glow plugs and block heater not plugged in.

--------Robert

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
maybe i missed it but do you know the part number or where to get the clear fuel filter housing set up or is that a volvo thing? i think that would be sweet to be able to see things work.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
maybe i missed it but do you know the part number or where to get the clear fuel filter housing set up or is that a volvo thing? i think that would be sweet to be able to see things work.

That is a Davco 234 coolant heated fuel filter. It was specificaly designed for bio fuels. It also is available with optional 12v or 120 v electric heat. It also has a trash/water seperator in the bottom and an easy open drain valve. the company is here http://www.davcotec.com/fp234.htm
The see through filter setup is pretty neat, you leave an air pocket on top and as the filter clogs , the level rises, when the fuel is near the top , the filter needs changing ( and yes, it realy works, I thought it still looked prety clean the first time it got up there , but sure enough, it didn't want to start the next day. Popped a new filter in and was good to go ) If you have room, they make a taller one 234 plus I believe that you can get a 2 micron filter element for.

I bought it from Frybrid, but the guy is a crook, lied to me over and over , took 2 months to get it to me ( After telling me he had them in stock ready to ship, then after numerous emails he finally gets it sent. he has them drop shipped, so he was obviously dining on my cash for 2 months )and I've still not recieved the filter wrench that he advertised coming with it, and later promised he'd send.-cuss

There is a reputable dealer on ebay selling the things.

----------Robert

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
:shocked: little rich for my blood but if i am going to do it i should do it right, thanks, and thanks for the heads up on a rep. source