Wouldn't shut off

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just drove to work and parked the truck turned off the ignition and removed the key but she kept on running cookoo . What the @$%^. Put the key back in to KOEO everything is like it isn't runnig wait to start lights up radio kicks on glow plugs start to cycle. Turn it off and everything shuts off except the motor. I was starting to get concerned. did the key on and off a few times and it finally shut down. Then I restarted it ( to make sure it would) and it shut down no problem. I'm hoping :hail its gonna start when I leave a 3 am. Any clue as to whats going on? The ign. switch is fairly new.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Fuel shut off solinoid is sticking.Not sure if you can replace that yourself since it is the hump on top of the Injection pump.....

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I relaced mine in my old pump, from a spare that I had. It's just the cover that has to come off. I just swapped covers with a working one. Make sure it's clean, there is lots of important parts under it.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can replace the FSS, I've done it several times on my 6.9

It sounds like the solenoid is sticking, if it refuses to shut off again, lightly tap the top of the IP and see if that tapping will make the solenoid slide shut.

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it hasn't done it since so I'm hopeing it doesn't happen again :rolleyes:, yeah right. I just hope it doesn't do it in reverse where it won't start.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are pretty cheap to come by...FSS that is. the danger is opening it up and having a runaway condition. Ford has specific instructions on how to do the install. It's not that technical, but the main thing is, you need to be careful not to bend the linkage, and to check for that audible "click" when the key is hot BEFORE you start the engine...the resultsof not doing so can be catastrophic. It is also pruedn to have a clipboard handy to clap over that intake immediately in case she tries to runaway.
J.D.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you running a fuel additive, or Bio? I'd dose it up real good for a few tanks and see if that helps.

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are pretty cheap to come by...FSS that is. the danger is opening it up and having a runaway condition. Ford has specific instructions on how to do the install. It's not that technical, but the main thing is, you need to be careful not to bend the linkage, and to check for that audible "click" when the key is hot BEFORE you start the engine...the resultsof not doing so can be catastrophic. It is also pruedn to have a clipboard handy to clap over that intake immediately in case she tries to runaway.
J.D.

Where might I get a new FSS?

Are you running a fuel additive, or Bio? I'd dose it up real good for a few tanks and see if that helps.

Yes I do run and additive every tankfull, and no to the bio.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you're lucky, and have a junkyard with 6.9 or 7.3s in it, you might get one from there...you can get a new one from Accurate Diesel, MWFI, or DIS. Probably any good fuel injection shop. Just get the whole governor cover in either case, should set you back $30-70 for a new one, and maybe a lot cheaper from a junkyard unit. One guy here said that even a 5.7 pump covere will work, although you couldn't prove it by me. The IDI pumps, GM and IH are all pretty similar except that the 6.2/6.5 turn differently from the Ford/IH units.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online