WMO cold starting

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly using ATF4 that's synthetic. Not sure of the technicals, but I can report runs fine and even gets marginally better mileage than D2. It's considered a suspension fluid ( meaning it suspends the dirt in it) which doesn't sound great for fuel use?

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mixed mine at about 30% during the winter months and have gone as high as 50% with very little trouble. Starts easier at 30% when cold. I had trouble with the higher mixes in cold weather not passing through the fuel filter very well when it's cold here. When running the higher mixes, I would start and shut down on my other tank of diesel.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80F today, plugged in 3 hours, first try a sput then crank and no start today :( low on wmo the other night had a bout half gallon extra I poured in and made it home, today no no life in her. I think I need more fuel in the tank, air in the lines, but my fuel pressure was good while cranking. my whole fuel line system may need about half gallon to complete the circuit so if I have just a gallon I pump air into the IP so more WMO 2morow and the fuel injector lines are all cracked for the morning attempt...

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have never understood why people want to make the injection pump force cold thick oil through the injectors?? These trucks are supposed to be dependable, not huh, I wonder if it will start today, Maybe next tank I will add another 3 cents worth of unleaded and see if that will make it startcookoo

sorry for the rant, hear alot of this locally, and it blows me away how cheap people can be, just start the fricken thing on diesel and switch to thick fuel when it is warmed up.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting on a separate tank is an option but it must take a few miles to clear out the WMO. My deal is just experimenting I guess, looking for the best results. ATF is really not thick when cold. The best compromise seems to be to stay in the 50/50 range.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online