WMO ?, clogged filter or weak pump?

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I just got my set up for pumping WMO, bought a 12v Tuthill diesel transfer pump and put a Goldenrod water block filter on it. With the filter on I am maybe pumping 1 gallon a minute tops. I didn't watch to see how fast the oil came out when it first started pumping but a minute in it was coming out very slow. I'm wondering if I clogged my filter in the first minute (is this possible) or do I just need a more powerful pump for pushing WMO through the filter? I made sure not to take from the bottom of the barrel when pumping and if I take the filter off it pumps great. Pump is rated for 10 gpm and filter 5 gpm. I expected it to be a little slow but this is rediculous. Any suggestions?

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the first question is what micron filter are you pushing the oil through? I used a house water filter system with a 5 micron filter with a dual oil filter set-up from summit racing in front of that to reduce clogging the 5 micron filter. My set-up was slow too and I used a steel 55 gallon drum with a air hose hooked up to it pushing 20 psi air pressure. I ended up painting the drum black and set it in the sunlight all day and that helped qite of bit. But still slow. The last time I filtered my oil I used a transfer pump that you hooked up to a drill to and it was alot quicker. I probaly filtered 40 gallons in 45 minuits. still not blazing time but its free fuel so some time is worth giving.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I had the same problem and it was water.. It won't take long, for the water block to get fully clogged up with water. It works, by swelling as it catches water trying to go through it. When it's fully-swelled, you won't get much, if any oil flowing through it.

My WMO setup has gone through several upgrades, since I started it last year. I started with a gravity fed setup, but I was burning the fuel faster than I was filtering it. I now have a 300 gallon tank, with a Tee and two valves. One valve is for the suction side of my 86 Honda power steering pump and the other is for draining-off any water that may be settled to the bottom of the tank.

I have an 80 micron strainer from Tractor Supply before the pump, then it goes through 3 filters after the pump. First one is a whole-house 20 micron, second is a whole-house 5 micron and the third is the same Goldenrod that you use.

After that, it goes into my in-bed 110 gallon tank. I also have a Goldenrod filter coming out of that tank/pump. When it goes in my truck, there are two more filters for it to pass through, before it ever sees the IP.

I guess you could say that I'm a bit **** about filtering. My next idea, is to put the 5 micron house filter in front of a 1 micron. We'll see how it goes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online