WMO and emissions?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Since I may soon by aquaring a 7.3 IDI F350 I was thinking about starting up using WMO (after i get all the basic upkeep done) to help on fuel costs however around here you have to pass emissions (every 2 years for gassers at least think the same for diesels) so was wondering if running WMO affects your emissions negativly or if I could still run it come emissions time (vs running a tank of straight diesel long enough to do emissions). Semi unrelated but any diffrence in using Diesel vs Kerosane to delute your WMO since we have this thing called winter up here?

wmoguy

Reaction score
What part of Colorado you in? Mine's registered in Unincorporated Larimer Cty, and no emissions right now.

I'm pretty confident mine would pass emissions if it had too. It doesn't smoke anymore on WMO blend than it does on Diesel.

Use Kero to blend your fuel. Its drier than diesel, and does a better job of thinning your WMO blend down. Gimme a buzz sometime if you are ever around Ft Collins. I'll give you a few gallons of my WMO blend to test out if you want.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think wmo would "give off" more particles even though it might not smoke much???
Just thinking about the emission tests, if they could sense that type of stuff.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
What part of Colorado you in? Mine's registered in Unincorporated Larimer Cty, and no emissions right now.

I'm pretty confident mine would pass emissions if it had too. It doesn't smoke anymore on WMO blend than it does on Diesel.

Use Kero to blend your fuel. Its drier than diesel, and does a better job of thinning your WMO blend down. Gimme a buzz sometime if you are ever around Ft Collins. I'll give you a few gallons of my WMO blend to test out if you want.

Im right by the Aurora/Denver city lines so definatly in emissions territory (testing station less then a mile from me), they test just for smoke or also for particles? The truck Im looking at is in Loveland so would be in your neck of the woods however the guy selling it isnt exactly being easy to reach (1-2 weeks of various forms of contact and so far have gotten 2, 1 line replys) so not sure how much longer Ill keep at it before giving up and waiting untill later on (small budget so choices are limited)

*edit/addition* Anyone ever think of adding a how to or tech section to here for those looking to get started? (or a FAQ) Would allow people to have one place to look to figure out what is required to get started using WMO/WVO/Bio and might also get a lot of new intrest as its no longer a black art (Ill be honest and admit Ive spent probbly 6 hours looking in here and online for info and just have a rough idea so far)

Last edited:

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
burning wmo smells different than #2.So there is possibly a different amount of chemicals in the exhaust.Although WMO usually clears up the smoke provided you arn't running alot.So it might pass the smoke test but fail NOX or CO2.It would be interesting to find out though.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes getting started means using what you already have.
If you don't have many items, barrels for holding fuel, pump of some sorts, and filters of some kind, start small.
Or if you work with certain things like automotive or home improvement start using that kind of stuff.
I think many setups are "custom" or have the general stuff, pump, filters, containers.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Sometimes getting started means using what you already have.
If you don't have many items, barrels for holding fuel, pump of some sorts, and filters of some kind, start small.
Or if you work with certain things like automotive or home improvement start using that kind of stuff.
I think many setups are "custom" or have the general stuff, pump, filters, containers.

Hehe Ill be honest and admit figuring I get a truck I already have my eye on a ~175gal plastic tank...if my boss will let me take it home (used to hold washer fluid but is no longer used, just sits in the wash bay...), then its just a matter of getting a pump and the centrifuge (and finding a reliable source of oil). Will probbly add in a couple water seperating filters as well to help keep it out of the centrifuge but...

Far as emissions goes did a little digging and turns out unlike gassers diesels have to be tested yearly (I should know that since I work on a fleet of a couple hundred school buses but...) otherwise cant find what the requirments are and based on the replies so far Ill be the first (or one of the first) to try so once again figuring I get a truck Ill post the results running WMO for future refrence (and if it fails Ill run diesel and show the diffrences)

sassyrel

Reaction score
(I should know that since I work on a fleet of a couple hundred school buses but...)[/QUOTE]

that ought to keep you in wmo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle