Wiring harness adapter?

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, been awhile since ive been on here.

Unfortunately I was stupid enough to trade my idi for
a pos jeep that wound up dying, and im looking at getting
another idi simply because mine was the best truck I could
ask for in terms of reliability, fuel economy and longevity.

Im looking at an 85 or 86 up in astoria, wa. and the guy said
the only reason it wont start is because it has a newer 7.3
swapped in to replace the 6.9 that cracked a head, and the
wiring harness is different than that of the 6.9 so it cant get
voltage to the ip shutoff valve.

Would anyone know if this is true and if so is there a harness
adapter out there or how would I re-wire her to get her running
to drive it home?

Its already got 6 inches of lift, 35s, and a gearvendor under/overdrive,
and hes only asking 2k so I wanna make sure its possible to get
her running before I jump on it.

Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've bought trucks that went through electrical fires in the cab and all I needed was 12v to the pump and 12v to the starter. see pic #1. connect green 12v from batt cable to the terminal on the injection pump closest to you. see pic #2.
connect the hot start button between the 12v and the energize post on the solenoid to fire up the motor. make sure it's in neutral and hit the button. ;Sweet
if you want to be fancy, put an inline fuse on the jumper wire for the pump just in case there may be a problem with the solenoid in the pump.

Attachments

• SL375583.JPG
    SL375583.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 5
  • SL375584.JPG
    SL375584.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 5

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I know you are a respected member on this forum towcat, but that just sounds a little sketchy to me.... I know how to rig a hot push button starter, had one on my last idi, but jumping from a battery cable to the ip sounds discomforting.

If its a possibility id rather use an adapter or something to join the two harness ends if thats possible (wiring isnt my strongest area of knowledge when it comes to harnesses) Or safely cross-wiring the two ends at the least.

Idk, maybe your right and I just am picturing this in my mind wrong, my phone wont download your pics so I have no reference images. :/

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no adapter harness , its not that hard, towcat is just talking about hot wiring it to make it run/ get home, if wiring isnt your thing ,I can do it, wiring is a specialty part of my business. the 80,s trucks can have some wicked under dash problems.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no adapter harness , its not that hard, towcat is just talking about hot wiring it to make it run/ get home, if wiring isnt your thing ,I can do it, wiring is a specialty part of my business. the 80,s trucks can have some wicked under dash problems.

Hmmm. I may take you up on that offer if I decide to get the truck. Realistically it depends on what I get back for taxes, but if all goes like I want ill probably be contacting you.