Wipers quit working this morning

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
My wipers worked for a few minutes this morning then suddenly slowly did the first half of their travel, stayed there for a minute, then slowly returned to the home position, where they will no longer move.

More info:
I replaced a rusty driver front fender on labor day and in the process accidentally pulled the 2 wires out of the washer tank. I added that to the "fix-it" list. So, this morning when I went to spray the washer fluid (it's Rain-X stuff, works awesome) that is when the wipers did the slow movement to halfway and then eventually proceeded to not move anymore. I had forgotten about the two wires that were pulled out of the tank in that moment. Would that connection being open (or potentially shorted if those 2 wires are touching) cause this issue? I have to think it is related because it started as soon as I hit the washer button.

I'll get the wires fixed this weekend but I wanted to get some ideas or experiences flowing here. I can still hear the wiper relay clicking there near the glovebox for every position. Just no wiper arm action.

Thanks

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely has zero to do with the washer pump wires.

In all likely hood has to do with wiper motor or the contacrs in the transmission for the wiper motor.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Sounds like the motor. My suburban is doing the same thing
in my case the motherboard needed to be Resolderd. Haven't messed with a ford motor Tho.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to guess it's a switch issue since it seemed to act up one you tried to do the washer fluid. I'd giggle the switch a bunch and see if the wipers act up or start working again. My 93 wipers act up frequently and don't work on delay. I believe for me it's a dirty Multifunction switch. I think they are under 50 bucks on rock auto.

The lack of a wiper fluid pump connection shouldn't have mattered on the function of the wiper motor.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can disassemble the switch and clean the contacts. That's what I did on mine.
On the brick truck, the delay box gets messed up from releasing the parking brake and letting it slam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jhenegh

Reaction score
I took the switch apart and cleaned the contacts and also got a reman wiper motor and just plugged it in. No difference. I have no wipers and no washer pump anymore (after fixing plug wiring). I can hear my relay clicking under the glovebox, but considering I lost all wiper activity I'm still kinda thinking it may be the issue?

Last edited:

jhenegh

Reaction score
I'm not much of an electrician (big reason for IDI ownership!!) but I don't think broken and burned connectors carry current very well. I'm shopping for a new wiper relay or wiper governor now. It seems to vary in what they call it online...

Attachments

• IMG_3228.JPG
    IMG_3228.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3227.JPG
    IMG_3227.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 33

sassyrel

Reaction score
SOMETIMES, the shafts,,where the wiper arms pivot, like to get rusty. and when they do,,guess what?? take the drive pin, on the motor arm, out of its hole,,and see if you can make the wiper arms move freely....when I replaced the motor,, on parents Lincoln,,the arms were sticking bad, but not totally stuck,,and it smoked the inside of the motor..............ymmv

jhenegh

Reaction score
I'm not much of an electrician (big reason for IDI ownership!!) but I don't think broken and burned connectors carry current very well. I'm shopping for a new wiper relay or wiper governor now. It seems to vary in what they call it online...

Bought 2 used relays off eBay. That fixed it. Extra one went in glovebox

Averysm09

Reaction score
Sike, new wiper motor was what I needed. Turned the knob, heard the relay going off, no wiper action. Replaced the motor (remanned, but looked new, off of ebay for ~$40) and all is right with the world!