Wiper problem

vikurt2002

Reaction score
I'm having the intermittent wiper problem as described in the tech article. Unfortunately I can't find the wiper control module. I'm starting to wonder if I have one... There is nothing attached to the e-brake bracket and when I follow the wires back from the wiper switch they lead to the wiring harness(same as the headlight switch) and then to God knows where. I've taken both the wiper and headlight switches loose and have them dangling by their wires, crawled under the dash with a flashlight and looked and felt as far around the general area as I can but I haven't found anything that looks remotely like a relay of any kind. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

1985 F250 Regular Cab 6.9 NA IDI 4X4

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have stock intermittent wipers....there has to be a control module box unless someone has installed aftermarket style.

The box should be easy to find if you remove the dash it should be on top or above the ebrake bracket. It may be laying loose already but you will have to remove the dash to see it.

It's all real easy to do the soldering. Just heat with a med heat 15-20 watt max add a wee bitto fresh solder and let it get nice n shiny then withdraw heat and let cool. do it to each of the solder points on the board.

Hope this helps

vikurt2002

Reaction score
My wiper has just two speeds. I think the confusion I was having is that my problem(the wipers stopping suddenly mid-cycle for 15-20 seconds and then resuming) is intermittent but my wipers are not intermittent. I believe, after researching this website and others for several hours, that I have no wiper control module, the wiper switch goes directly to the wiring harness and then to the wiper motor. Does this sound right? And if so, could my problem be the wiper switch itself? The wiper motor was replaced shortly before I bought the truck a year ago, I'm guessing for the same problem I'm still having.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
You have the most annoying type of problem intermittent electrical (strike that intermittent air leaks are worse.)
I would carefully inspect the wiring from the switch to the motor. Then check continuity in the switch in the various positions while wiggling it. Then I would suspect the motor as a crappy rebuild. I'm on motor #3, but I live in Seattle and I use my wipers a lot LOL
It's possible to replace the motor without removing the cowl if you are careful.
Good luck!

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Also check your grounding. Knock on wood, I haven't had to replace anything in the wiper system, but I had a ranger that lost the ground to the wiper motor. Easy fix, but made for a terrifying trip home in the rain once.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a Park issue with the motor, even though I have intermittent wipers mine do the same thing....flip flop fine then for no reason stop at a 45 or straight up for a few seconds then flip flop back to normal...this is a continual issue and the only thing left is the wiper motor of which I have not tested yet.

vikurt2002

Reaction score
Well it was looking like the switch was going to be the most likely culprit and the easiest place to start. I got a new one from the local parts store for $20. I already had the dash half apart so installing it was a breeze. This past weekend I drove 240 miles north to go horseback riding and it rained all the way back. The wipers worked perfectly for the 5 hour or so trip... hopefully that will do it. I just wanted to say thanks to everybody who posted a suggestion. It was a frustrating problem and it's a big help to get some input from people who have experience with this stuff. Thanks, guys!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger