Window motor

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my window motor is shot now-cuss window will roll down but won't roll up. You can hear it running but just won't push it up anymore. Or hold it up either. Window wot stay up on it's own
So am I correct in diagnosing it as the window motor or??

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
remove window motor, remove t15 torx screw holding cover over gear assy.

replace gear drive plugs. Motormite part number 74410. Reassemble, after cleaning out all reminants of old plugs and apply some white lithium grease to the worm gear (but not the new plugs, it'll soften them). reinstall window motor and call it a day. Too bad you're not old enough to enjoy a beer so this is as close as it gets.:cheers:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The gear drive is *****. Find the repair parts in any auto parts help section.They are several plastic pieces you install inside the funny gear box. Really a simple job. Its just getting yours out of the door...Others can explain that job.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Remove power window switch assy by prying at the ends with a small screw driver while pushing the tip in to release the tabs on both sides.
Remove all screws holding panel on, there should be one by the vent window, one by the arm rest, and there may be some on the bottom of the door panel depending on what style door panel you have. The panel will then pull out and up and slide it over the interior handle. (there are nylon push retainers that hold the panel on) may need to replace some on install to keep a nice tight rattle free door panel. the factory regulator has the window motor attached to it and if its never been changed you will need to drill 3 1/2in holes in the door (you will see small dimples) where the screws that hold the motor to the regulator are on the other side of the sheet metal. If there are holes great, should be 8mm screws. Unplug window motor and wiggle the motor out (keep hand on glass incase it comes down, has taken skin off more than once).

install is reversed.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
the motor should be in stock in most parts stores. They fit a TON of different vehicles.

2nd. DONT ORDER ANYTHING! till you open yours up. It probably needs a 6 dollar gear plug kit.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Don't forget to tape the window up to the door window frame before taking anything apart. I know you are not taking out the glass, but taking out the motor and gear box will let the window slide down, I think. Just be safe and do it anyway. Then you can enjoy a beer in a few years.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the drive plugs. They go out constantly. I keep two packs in my tool box just in case for customers cars. Mine are plugged with 1/4 inch nuts.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To make it easy I just drilled 2 holes in the sheet metal that way you can simply unbolt the motor and not have to mess with the entire mech. This makes it very easy to RR the motor in just minutes.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also.... if for some reason that you have to removed the entire regulator assembly..... shouldn't for this repair..... but..... if you should ever have to remove the regulator it may be SPRING LOADED!!!!!

I did a R&R of for a friend of mine on a 90's Buick Riviera. One this one you removed the motor and regulator. Then remove the motor from the regulator (this motor was burned up) to replace the motor. I removed the fastners from the motor, and pulled the motor free...... on the opposite side was a spring, coiled up and about the size of a "Skoal" can.

I still have the scars on my hand from this expirence..... Did not break anything, but it hurt like "you know where", and sliced open a couple of fingers. The worst thing was when I got back from the ER... I had to finish the repair to get the car outta my garage.... that was fun......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.