will a 1986 6.9l turbo engine bolt to a 1990 7.3l with E4OD trans

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
came across a 1986 6.9l with turbo complete engine and 4 speed trans will it fit in the 1990 F250 and still keep auto transmission in it?

I am thinking about rebuilding my 7.3l and just curious to see how much power the turbo will add?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... ANY idi block will bolt in place where any idi block was. Demensionally every idi block is the same size and.. They are drilled the same. Bout the only difference we find is the 6.9 and 7.3 head bolt size is different. Even the heads can be swapped from 6.9 to 7.3 or vice versa if you drill out the smaller 6.9 bolt holes for the head.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes... ANY idi block will bolt in place where any idi block was. Demensionally every idi block is the same size and.. They are drilled the same. Bout the only difference we find is the 6.9 and 7.3 head bolt size is different. Even the heads can be swapped from 6.9 to 7.3 or vice versa if you drill out the smaller 6.9 bolt holes for the head.
Awesome now I need to go and get the motor and trans for my truck. looks like I will be doing a motor swap.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, though, if your 7.3 is in decent shape... swap the turbo to the 7.3.
The 6.9 never came from the factory with a turbo; what you found is a motor someone swapped a turbo onto already.

IF the 6.9 already has headstuds, or you are willing to install headstuds in it before installing it... go for it. If not, use the 7.3.

The N/A 7.3s can handle about 20 psi of boost before blowing a gasket. This is more than a normal turbo kit can put out, period.
6.9s, well, 6 is ok and more than that is pushing it... without headstuds. With headstuds, a 6.9 can handle 20-ish psi.

With headstuds on a 7.3, the headgasket is not the limit anymore. A 7.3 with headstuds will handle 50 psi of boost without blowing the gasket, but the N/A-spec connecting rods can't handle 50 psi of boost(and the fuel to match - note that at this point you'd be pushing well over 400rwhp/500+ crank HP)

----
On question two - how much power will a turbo add, the answer is: how much are you going for? Also, what aftermarket turbo(note: Even if you find a "ford" turbo on there, it was off of a 93-94 7.3 and was made by ATS).
Stock, an idi will put somewhere between 85 and 125 to the wheels(this is after drivetrain losses, ac, ps pump losses, etc which is why it's much lower than the rated 180 hp).
Using a stock IP cranked up, and a turbo pushing 12+ psi of boost, you can get oh... 200-220 rwhp. Somethin like 95 hp at the wheels, near doubling what's available.
Beyond that, you are looking at custom pumps(R&D makes really good high power pumps) and bigger turbochargers to put on the kit. Obviously, at that point, headstuds are required.

I've personally pushed a stock 7.3 motor to 250rwhp for almost a year now, using a rd2-110 IP and "factory turbo"(ford-spec ATS) kit. This is very interesting to drive because the torque curve is totally turbo-limited. So it makes peak torque at like 2600rpm and peak HP at 2800. It starts pulling hard around 2K rpm when the turbo starts making boost and doesn't stop until it hits the governor and defuels around 3K.

Last edited:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd need the IP or the vacuum mod even on the electric trans iirc.
You mean move over the VRV(c6) or TPS(e4od)? Yes.

Also isn't there a small issue with getting that flex plate on a 6.9?
Not sure? The balance is slightly different between 6.9 and 7.3's, but people have successfully use 6.9 flywheels on 7.3s and vice-versa, so it should work OK.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Gosh it's been a few years since I worked on these trucks I forgot there was the TPS.

I thought I remember a nubbin that has to be removed or a one bolt difference between the 7.3 and 6.9 flywheel but maybe not.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I thought I remember a nubbin that has to be removed or a one bolt difference between the 7.3 and 6.9 flywheel but maybe not.
Some of the 6.9's (maybe all) had a dowel pin in the crankshaft for aligning the flywheel (I think). All you'd have to do is remove it. The one question not answered is that the up pipes on the turbo that the OP is talking about may not work with the automatic since it originally had a manual transmission.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the pipe is narrower on the 6.9 with manual trans, so I will have to cut and widen it a little over the e4od so just cut and tack in place. then braze it in place and then install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online