Will 6.5 upgrades work on a 6.2?

Reaction score
I just bought an old military Chevy with a 6.2. I also just finished reading an article in Diesel World about 6.5 upgrades. Will those upgrades work on a 6.2? If so, will they be a direct bolt on? :dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dimensionally they are the same motors
the early 6.2's and the van specific motors have cyl heads with the injectors angles incorrectly to work with the factory 6.5 exhaust manifiolds. The goodies in the mag will bolt up except for the upgraded cooling kit IF you still have the log style compressor. I found out this the hard way.

Reaction score
I have not even seen the truck yet let alone the enigne. So I am not sure if there are differences from the civilian models. How ever, I would like to start ordering parts so they are waiting for me when I get home. what would be a good place to start? Is there a company that specializes in making these engines stronger?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, that is a grey area. I spend what it costs to do something right. Tell you what, I’ll give you a break down on the truck and you tell me what I am looking at money wise. I know absolutely nothing about these engines. I have never had one, but I have always wanted to build one.

The truck is an old military flight line tugger. It has an automatic (not sure which one yet) and the running gear has the big gear reduction hubs. It already sits real tall in the air and I plan to use that height. The truck is going to be a well built trail/mud/tug-o-war/play truck. We will beat on it and eventually I will install a four link coil sprung suspension on four corners. I want respectable power and reliability right now. Later on I have a twin turbo configuration idea. But for right now, I just want to order the parts that will make it a little better and correct some of its flaws.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well....
you can't go wrong with doing the timing chain delete by going geardrive. I did it in my latest project 6.5 and the throttle response is wicked:D;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
no more sluggish rpm ramp-up.
second is the turbo cal injection pump and marine spec injectors.
there are those who would advocate the main stud girdle kit, I haven't put together a motor that made the kind of power that requires the kit.
outside of that, I wouldn't suggest anything else in the meantime until you determine the rear end ratio and what you have to work with. chances are the frame on the tugger has been seriously shortened and the rear gear ratio is going to require replacement before you can hit the road.

Reaction score
well....
you can't go wrong with doing the timing chain delete by going geardrive. I did it in my latest project 6.5 and the throttle response is wicked:D;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
no more sluggish rpm ramp-up.
second is the turbo cal injection pump and marine spec injectors.
there are those who would advocate the main stud girdle kit, I haven't put together a motor that made the kind of power that requires the kit.
outside of that, I wouldn't suggest anything else in the meantime until you determine the rear end ratio and what you have to work with. chances are the frame on the tugger has been seriously shortened and the rear gear ratio is going to require replacement before you can hit the road.

I am so glad there is some one awake over in the U.S. right now. LOL

Those are good dieas. I was going to get the gear to gear kit once I confirmed it would work on my 6.2. I did not think of the injectors. The frame is seariously shortened. When I get home I am going to see if a blazer body will work on it. The gears are lower than low. I do not know the ratio yet, but research has told me with that outer gear reduction hub, I will most likely be able to walk next to it. :love: It will never see the road, I will have to trailer it. I am installing some agressive agriculture style tires and biulding it for off road use only. :thumbsup:

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that it is a four wheel drive.

And by the way what is the"turbo cal injection pump"? You may have to dumb it down a bit.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm on the phone to the near side of the sandbox right now as we speak. it's almost exactly 12hours apart for the time zone.
you don't want my phone bill-cuss
staydne 4911 pump is the one you want. there's a local builder near me in kali who will build the same spec pump for you if you don't have the proper core.
the gear kit will work no prob as long as you order the one that doesn't have the provision for the optical trigger.

Reaction score
I am in Mosul right now. I know about the phone bill thing.

I am very interested in the pump idea. And it looks as though the gear to gear kit will be the first thing I order.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I gathered from cruising the various sellers is that the gear kit is made by one place in Canada. So whoever you order it from, it's going to be the same part. Go for whoever is the least expensive.