Wierd Fuel #'s

J.Keith

Reaction score
I installed a Stanadyne Fuel Master kit on my 2000 last week and now I get some weird readings.
Before the install the #'s with the Comp on 5x5 were
Idle 14psi
Cruise 9 psi
WOT 0-2 :eek:

With the new kit I see
Idle 16 psi
Cruise 3 psi
WOT 11-12 psi
Again with the Comp on 5x5

Isn't that crazy?
I've checked the electrical connections, both filters basically everything I can think of and still nothing.

My gauge setup is an Autometer 0-15 psi gauge, Geno's tapped banjo, 18" greese gun hose, and a needle valve to help wiht the pulses.

When I'm crusing say in 5th at 70 I read somewhere between 3 to 5 psi
as soon as I floor it the guage swings up to 11- 12 psi. Kinda backwards I think.
Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks
Joe

Whit

Reaction score
Doesnt make sense to me either..............I would get a mechanical gauge and run it temporary up to the windshield to see what it says, its easy to do since ya already have the tapped banjo 1/8" npt from there just go to some simple tygon tubing and ito the gauge.

damncountryboy

Hillbilly delux
Reaction score
Possibly a restriction on the return side, I've also seen air do alot of funky things to FP

J.Keith

Reaction score
I guess I'll bleed it out again and hook up a mech. gauge.
Anybody else use this system?

J.Keith

Reaction score
Well the damm thing crapped out on me yesterday morning :mad:
I left for work and got about 1/2 a mile down the road when the fuel pressure drpooed from 15 to 0 and the engine died.
I got towed to the local shop I use when I don't have time to do things for myself. They are also the ones that sold me the system.
Their mechanic checked it out and everything was hooked up properly, however the kit and instructions tell you to piggyback the power directly from the stock power supply to the LP. He thought this could be drawing to much power through the ECM.
Anyway once we wired it with a relay to power it we could hear the pump motor running but it would not pump any fuel.
They talked to the guy at Central Motive Power and the Stanadyne guys and I guess they have only sold about 300 of these units and out of those they have only had 2 that have had problems. guess I got # 3 -cuss -cuss
Anyway the thing is backordered so I won't get a new one till the end of next week. Meanwhile I can either put on a new factory LP or just not drive it -cuss -cuss -cuss
I'm a little pissed off about this :mad: -cuss
I lost a whole day of work plus paid their mechanic, so this thing has cost me
about $1100 so far.
I guess well see how Stanadyne stands behind their products. It looks like a good system but right now the price tag is killing me :mad:

Whit

Reaction score
Thats stinks Keith, Dont drive the truck or you will trash the VP, I dont know nuttin bout the Stanadyne setup so cant really comment other than I am very pleased with my fuel system since the stock LP went in the trash can where it belongs. ;Really

J.Keith

Reaction score
Well I just spent a couple of hours out messing around with it and heres what I've found.
If I bleed the system out at the injection pump it will start and idle at 15-15.5 psi. (mech gauge)
As soon as I floor it for just a second the pressure will drop to about 7 psi.
When it returns to idle, the pressure comes back up to 13.5-14.5 psi and bounces around inbetween these #'s for a few seconds before slowly dropping down to nothing.
At this point I pulled off the fuel line at the factory lift pump and it was dry.
Now the Stanadyne unit is before the factory pump so it pulls fuel from the tank and the feeds the factory pump.
I pulled off the line from the tank at the Stanadyne unit and there was no fuel there either.
So for some reason the Stanadyne quits whenever there is a load put on the engine. Either that or the pump is losing it's prime.
Now the really wierd thing is after I bypassed the Stanadyne and went back to just the factory pump, I now get a solid 15psi at idle and it dosn't drop below 11 at WOT. cookoo
I gotta drive it so I'm stopping at Napa first thing in the morning to pick up a spare LP till I get the new Stanadyne.
Thanks for the help guys,
Joe

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like an expensive restrictive kit, your still running through the factory fuel lines...highly restrictive, if it was up to me, i'd get a refund on that system...11000.00????? and get a FASS system(which runs bigger fuel lines directly to your injector pump and totally bypasses that POS stock l/p. and by the way costs about half of what you spent on that system) sounds like a bad deal to me. :puke:

J.Keith

Reaction score
Yeah I'm getting screwed on this. :mad:
They got me a new one that only worked for about 40 miles and then I was doing the bypass thing on the side of the road. I am REALLY pissed off about this.
I've spent so far,
$398.00 for the kit.
$175.00 for a new factory LP POS!
$275.00 in diagnostics that have lead nowhere.
$110.00 to get towed in to the shop the first time it quit.
Not to mention the day of work it cost me. anywhere from $450-600 gross.
Lets see thats $958 + whatever I didn't make that day
Anybody know offhand what a FASS setup runs? I bet it's not 1000 bucks!
Now the pilot bearing has frozen up so I got to pull the tranny, so I'll put in a new clutch while its out.
Dammit it's been a bad week for me with the truck.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fass systems run about 400 - 500...i know a guy who sells them if you want an exact price...let me know, or i could give you his shop number..either way. i'd trash that system though, the fass system comes with 3/8 lines from the tank to the pump.2 BIG filters and wiring.

J.Keith

Reaction score
Update

Got another unit and still no go.
I think my truck is jinxed or somthing cause the SAME system works fine on the 98.
So I got a Holley Blue pump and put it on tonight. Done. Solid 15 psi and it won't move even at WOT with Comp on 5x5
I'm happy :D
Plus I just had my tranny rebuilt and a new SBC Con FE installed so now I'm ready for some new injectors :D
After I pay for the tranny/clutch that is :eek:
At least it works nice ;p
Joe

Texas Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the pressure regulator (bypass) valve on the VP-44. Mine was doing crazy things and a new regulator made it normal again.

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear abot the lp probs, I put the retro kit in the tank.( 260 bucks) Then my guage went out aftera week but showed around 13 at wot. I have heard some bad things about the retro kit, but the press and volume it has and for the money, well.... At least you werent 2000 miles from home and have your block cracked.. yea my truck is still in Metropolis, IL. :mad:

J.Keith

Reaction score
HAHA reading this old thread makes me chuckle now!
Those were REALLY minor issues compared to some of the stuff I've dealt with since!

I am happy to report that I've only had it towed again once and that was when the mainshaft in the NV4500 let loose.
I've put over 45k miles on it this year and never a hiccup!
Made 12 passes at the drag strip, hooked to a sled 5 times, pulled stupid loads and it's still as strong or stronger than ever!

That was back in the day of stock injectors, stock turbo,and I thought it ran awesome then.
Now I run F1 Mach 4's, Edge Hot Juice/Smarty stacked, TLS twins, and that FE is starting to hate life;Sweet

I'm still running the stock LP thats fed by the Holley blue thru 1/2" lines.
I get 25psi idleing and about 19 at WOT

More on the way next year!:Sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online