Wierd elec. problem? I mean wierd>

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check and see if your bulbs are in wrong on the brake lights. I don't think the blinker and brake circuits should be connected, but it happens often when the bulbs are put in wrong.
That would explain why the blinker is energized with the brake, but not the starter. :dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shade, the brake lights go thru the sig sw to cancel one brake when turning.
Sounds like a burnt insulation problem, start is red w light blue tracer, could be shorted to a rear turn sig wire. I would unplug the turn sig harness connector and see if it works properly. The wiring in those years has been known to melt down if people add things in the wrong place. I have had to repair several over the years. you may end up untaping a lot to fine the problem.
There are some colors in the tech articles under radio colors.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your talking about the connector under the steering wheel. To get to it you have to remove the wheel. So this is a common problem? Is it possible to fix it somewhere else? Meaning something I took out was fixing the problem. Or could this had happened when I was cutting wires with the battery hooked up?

Thanks for the help!!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shade, most folks dont understand how a 7 wire turn sig works, I gave up correcting, now I just inform.;Sweet

There is no connector under the wheel, it is down the column below the dash.

Rule no.1 no wire cutty with batteries hooked up, you probably screwed yourself with that one. The wires are small and burn quick when shorted

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went and got a new turn signal switch and pulled the wheel. I get it apart and they gave me the wrong part. Mine mounts with two screws and the one they gave me mounts with three and doesn't fit due to the key cylinder area. I'll try agian. I really hope this is the problem. I didn't see anywhere that it was burnt or shorting.

Thanks for the help!!

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
I think Russ is right it is in the wireing not the TS switch , trace wires from the key switch down to the conector under the dash ED

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed it. The turn signal switch did fix the brake pedal and turn signal problem. Now it starts and run fine.

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online