Wierd elec. problem? I mean wierd>

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I push the brake pedal--the starter turns the motor over. I turn on the right turn signal and the starter turns the motor over everytime the light blinks.

All I was doing was cleaning up the rats nest of wiring that the last owner had left me. I guess something in that mess was fixing this problem. All I removed was non-factory wiring--ie--stereo, brake controler, cab lights, dually fender lights, trailer wiring, seat belt buzzer, neutral saftey switch, interior light, cig lighter, cb, ant. I'm stuck, please help. Any sugg's will be appretiated.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the #1 fuse and the flasher relay, and now it dosen't turn over when I turn right or hit the brakes. Didn't fix the problem, just covered it up.

Also before I hacked up the wiring I install a new borguson steering shaft. I don't think this would cause any effect, but at this point I don't know. It's got to be steering colume related some how.

I picked up a Hayes for the wiring diagrams, helped a little. I'm hoping someone out there has run into this before--because I'm without an answer.

Thanks for the help!!!

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
That is a good one indeed! Does it crank when you hit the brake by itself or do you need to hold the key? If you need to hold the key you most likely gotta look at where the neutral safety switch used to reside for crossed wires. If it will crank just because you hit the brake you got a serious electrical malfunction! Before you get too deep though, make sure you attached all the grounds. A missing ground can do some weird stuff all by itself. If all that fails try to get a factory wiring diagram. If you have to buy one try Helm. They are the best source for factory manuals.
Ken

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, with the brakes it doesn't need the key. Hit the brakes alone and it starts, no key. With the turn signal the key must be in use.

Where does the start wire cross the stop wire under the dash and what colors are they? I could really use a good color coded dash wiring diagram, or some wiring guru to come fix it. I may need to get some gas and a match by the end of the day.

Thanks for the help

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the link above to try and find a better wiring diagram. There you have to pay $10-$12 for the book and I got to wait for it to show in the mail and then I donm't even know if it has what I need.

Anybody know of a place on the internet where I can see these online?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
WOW!

The Haynes book does a pretty good job at breaking down the wiring diagrams. Just gotta figure out what color wire goes to where.:dunno

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
Wires

I think iwould look were the steering colum harness hooks to the dash harness, Has any one changed the collum or jumped wires there.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
^ I second that.

BTW, the diagrams from that link are second to none. They show every wire color, connector, and ground there is. In a worst case scenario you might have to wait to get it. Maybee someone here will just blurt out exactly where the problem may lie, you never know.
Best of Luck
Ken

tknomaj

Reaction score
All of the diagrams he needs are posed on Flatlanders electrical post up now check them out if you need something else let me know

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got schematics in some of my album links. Check the Moosestang album.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to look at both of those schematics listed above and I just can't read them. So they are of no help to me.

NJKen---which book do I go for. It sounds like that is what I need. I've got a 86 f350.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have power all the time on one side of the brake switch. I think this is correct. As pressure is appiled to the brakes I get power to both sides and it goes in to the steerring colume harness. This is when the trouble starts(I think). When I push the brakes I got power on two other spots coming out of the colume harness. This plug and harness looks to be factory and untouched. Meaning I or the people before me haven't done any tapping into it, yet. If you hold the plug in your hand like this (Cl), they are the 2 center top pins. 1 is orange with a blue strip and the other is green. Is this normal, or is that my problem.

I removed the water separater(unpluged and ground un hooked), removed the door and seatbelt harness( unpluged at kickpanel and cut at seatbelt). I removed the aftermaket stereo ( cut and taped harness). Maybe has somthing to do with it?

Thanks for the help

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Start tossing us some wire colors that you're finding voltage on(readings) when testing.

Not sure anybody has run into the mess that you have.

We can help. The more info we have, the better we can get a fix for ya.;Sweet

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is diffenetly a mess. Thats what I get for taking a good running truck into the shop and stripping out some wiring mess. I'm guessing it was a problem that was fixed the wrong way with some ***** wiring. I pulled out all types of wire splicing--wire nuts, tie wraps, twisted together and scoth taped--that was my favorite. I should have tested as I pulled the wires.

Ok. I may have found the problem, you tell me. No key in the switch. Brake light switch unpluged and crossed with a wire link so that the brake lights are on all the time. Test light on orange with blue stripe wire coming out of the colume(should be for right rear turn signal)--lights up due to the brake switch. Another test light on the starter solinode--lights up due to my problem. I reach in--still with no key in the switch--and wiggle the turn signal switch. Both the test lights go in and out.

Do I need a new directional switch? If so how is this possible? If this is not my problem maybe this new info will help. If it is the problem, how can I make sure this never happens agian?

Thanks for the help-----I'd be stuck for sure without this board.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online