why wont the cummins break?

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao this section is extremely dead....they need to make more weak links in the cummins so we have more to talk about. :rotflmao

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
:rotflmao this section is extremely dead....they need to make more weak links in the cummins so we have more to talk about. :rotflmao
you've been working in a stealership...what have you been seeing?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
You want a broken cummins? Put one to work in a real truck and they break quick! We have a Ford F800 with a 12 valve in it thats broke some of the time and a Freightliner FL70 with a 24 valve in it thats broke all the time. The Freightliner is on its 3rd engine and soon to be looking at its 4th in 100,000 miles (8000 operating hours). They may be great engines in a Dodge but thats about it. I'm not just some brand loyal zealot either. We have them all and they all have their weak links.
My $.02
Flame on
Ken

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
This thread is useless without details and pictures. :backoff :D

As for 4 engines in 100k miles.... sounds like a underspec'd truck to me and a ton of abuse or poor PMIs or all of the above.

but thats just my gut feeling. LOL

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what have i been seeing.....mostly lift pumps and injector problems...the injector probs come from too much idle time. other than that...maybe a p/s pump or two. of course the typical crap..auto tranny's, clutches on turned up rigs. most common is driveline u-joints....we're replacing them at 25k...with NO grease left...lucky if theres even needle bearings left. as for your broken rigs....i'm thinking...overloading, abuse, lack of maintanence...maybe all of the above.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:

No, the rest of the truck will give us more to talk about though. LOL

In honesty, I can't complain too much about the new Rams... I'm hoping to win the lotto this year so that I can put one in my driveway.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
This thread is useless without details and pictures. :backoff :D

As for 4 engines in 100k miles.... sounds like a underspec'd truck to me and a ton of abuse or poor PMIs or all of the above.

but thats just my gut feeling. LOL
You could say underspec'd. The truck is a serious POS in my opinion. Unfortnatly that is how Phoenix spec'd the truck to build the Skyhoist on. Unfortunatly I dont have pictures but I can tell you I have seen things happen to that 24 valve that you normally just dont see. The last time it cracked a head it actually turned some of it blue from heat. It got its first engine at about 2000 miles when it developed a 8 inch crack in the block and leaked out all the coolant on I295. I know it gets hot but Freightliner says its operating normally :rotflmao.
PMI is done about every 200 - 250 Hrs and I am the only one that drives the truck so I know its not abuse. If I break it I gotta fix it. Just driving this thing in the hills is abusing it. Theres no way around it.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
NJKen said:
You could say underspec'd. The truck is a serious POS in my opinion. Unfortnatly that is how Phoenix spec'd the truck to build the Skyhoist on. Unfortunatly I dont have pictures but I can tell you I have seen things happen to that 24 valve that you normally just dont see. The last time it cracked a head it actually turned some of it blue from heat. It got its first engine at about 2000 miles when it developed a 8 inch crack in the block and leaked out all the coolant on I295. I know it gets hot but Freightliner says its operating normally :rotflmao.
PMI is done about every 200 - 250 Hrs and I am the only one that drives the truck so I know its not abuse. If I break it I gotta fix it. Just driving this thing in the hills is abusing it. Theres no way around it.

Ugh.... I hate that. Forced underspec'd rigs on drivers and then the driver has no choice but to go WOT all the time and basically beat hell out of it.

Manangers dont necessarily mean brains. :D We workers just go ahead and blow things up to prove our point. :rotflmao :rotflmao

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Ken, I gotta ask...what sort of pyro readings are you seeing? :shocked:

With a blue head..... dont ask. ;Sweet

Im guessing over 1200 and just short of 1500.... just enough to cook the head but not blow holes through the pistons. -Flame Thr

and Im also willing to bet that there probably isnt a pyro in the truck (stock anyway).

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Nope. No pyro. If I had to guess this truck cruises at 1200 degrees and I have no idea what it is under load (AKA mountain). The truck wheighs ~24K. Its just too dam much for an ISB. The pistons do have some weird pitting going on but not blasted to hell yet.
Ken

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the ujoints replaced in my rear shaft twice already....
I only have 33,000 on my o4
this is alot considering that my rock crawler jeep takes in abuse and I am not replacing them all the time....

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PADIESEL said:
I have had the ujoints replaced in my rear shaft twice already....
I only have 33,000 on my o4
this is alot considering that my rock crawler jeep takes in abuse and I am not replacing them all the time....

I'm hearing a squeeking in mine at 66k...figuring a rear driveshaft ujoint...know at least one of the axleshaft joint is already toast (waiting on a dynatrac kit ;Sweet ).

steved

bentwings

Reaction score
When it snows, the snow just piles up on the windshield. Does anyone how how to get it off??? or should I just call in sick at work??? :rotflmao :rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online