Why & How Did You Get Here.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought my '93 from my dad, had a lot of issues with the breaks, the return lines, and the IP, and knew there had to be some way to get everything correct, and found this site over google, haven't frequented any other diesel site, and never hope to so long as I can comtribut to OBN with no ill effects.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also was at the fte site... I liked it till some bozo from southern Cal. started running his mouth about how he was building a truck to make more power than all others. A real jack-wipe. and every thread had to involve him and be about him...so I stayed off the forums for awhile.
Now don't get me wrong, most of the guys over there are knowledgeable and are good guys...but you know how one jack-wipe can drive people away..

What ever happened to Dave S....I miss that guy.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty sure i was searching for parts and the solution for my truck stumbling at 1/4 tank. oh i found out what it was doing and much more right here. I actually found OB first and then someone posted a link to FTE. both are great sources of info. truck is almost dependable now....heheLOL

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was board at collage (short stay LOL)

I didn't know you were into art :D Or did you mean college? :D

Anyway...

Well back a few years ago my first diesel happened to be an 84 Ranger which i still have but isn't safe to drive anymore. Well that thing really got me interested in these easier simpler diesel engines. At the time though i mostly used the internet to look at pictures of cats with captions at the bottom and did not realize that there was these helpful sites out here. Then when my big truck (84 K20:puke:) died again (happend about every 3 months) i said to hell with that thing im buying a new truck. So at the time i knew my one friends dad had an old diesel that he was selling. So a little bit of money later i was driving home in what is now my 1991 F-250 in my sig. Well this engine was all new to me and i had recently discovered the power of youtube and began watching videos of idi's, and fail videos, and cat videos. (like i said i was discovering youtube during this time) So in one of the videos there was a comment that read "You a member of OB?". Well this got me wondering what this super secret society was that is to cool to have a regular name and must go by only two letter initials. So i quickly grabbed my deerstalker hat and pipe and began some intense detective work to find out more about this secret society. After many long countless nights of searching the internet and encountering many false leads and cats with captions. I succeeded in discovering this so called OB place.
It was then that i discovered that OB was not in fact a super secret society but a web forum known as Oil Burners that happened to have a lot of information about these majestical creatures known as IDI's. So I says to myself "Jake you must join this society of greatness where one canst beseech questions and have answers cometh hither!"
So after spending hours on finding a super awesome handle i settled for Jake_IN. Which is a pretty awesome screen name.

So yup thats my long drawn out story of how i got here ;Sweet

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded my 78 F250 SuperCab for a 79 F150 4x4 with a 6.9 idi/T19 trans partially swapped in... I googled the swap and found a thread started by Lindstromjd and read it (same exact swap I'm doing except the trans... my truck's a short bed too), and a huge shout out to him because he's been very helpful. Thanks man! I'll start a build thread soon, if you guys like that kind of stuff lol

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I came here during the dark ages. The IDI section was nothing but a few post.

Rumor from TDS saying there was a GGG page is what got my attention. :angel::D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know you were into art :D Or did you mean college? :D

Anyway...

Well back a few years ago my first diesel happened to be an 84 Ranger which i still have but isn't safe to drive anymore. Well that thing really got me interested in these easier simpler diesel engines. At the time though i mostly used the internet to look at pictures of cats with captions at the bottom and did not realize that there was these helpful sites out here. Then when my big truck (84 K20:puke:) died again (happend about every 3 months) i said to hell with that thing im buying a new truck. So at the time i knew my one friends dad had an old diesel that he was selling. So a little bit of money later i was driving home in what is now my 1991 F-250 in my sig. Well this engine was all new to me and i had recently discovered the power of youtube and began watching videos of idi's, and fail videos, and cat videos. (like i said i was discovering youtube during this time) So in one of the videos there was a comment that read "You a member of OB?". Well this got me wondering what this super secret society was that is to cool to have a regular name and must go by only two letter initials. So i quickly grabbed my deerstalker hat and pipe and began some intense detective work to find out more about this secret society. After many long countless nights of searching the internet and encountering many false leads and cats with captions. I succeeded in discovering this so called OB place.
It was then that i discovered that OB was not in fact a super secret society but a web forum known as Oil Burners that happened to have a lot of information about these majestical creatures known as IDI's. So I says to myself "Jake you must join this society of greatness where one canst beseech questions and have answers cometh hither!"
So after spending hours on finding a super awesome handle i settled for Jake_IN. Which is a pretty awesome screen name.

So yup thats my long drawn out story of how i got here ;Sweet
I just have to say, I love your way of telling a story :rotflmao ;Sweet

Just an addition to your post... ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Searching google for injection pumps, and stumble onto other forums talking about some moose pump. Kept searching and finally found the source of the moose pump, and maybe a some other good information.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seven years ago I wanted an IDI because I enjoyed the simplicity of my Mercedes so much. Started reading about it to see if I was about to make a mistake. Learned very quickly from this site some basics about cavitation, trannies, gears, etc. Chose carefully, bought the truck (not cheap) but never looked back. Happy New Year to all! Drive safely.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the Warden's coolant filter write up and head gasket replacement webpage, and he talks about Oilburners in his write up. I started to surf Oilburners, and pretty soon I found myself on the site more and more. I finally quit lurking and signed up. I am glad I did! I always get quick and "civilized" responses to my questions. Heck, Al even went out and tried one of his repair suggestions on his old radiator, just to see if it might work on mine. I have owned three IDI trucks over the years (a '84, an '88, and currently a "94). With the help of what I have learned from others on this forum, I now really have a good idea how to maintain an IDI and keep it running. Before, I always had to take it to the shop! Thanks again guys! Todd

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i joined cause i found the fuel system write up.
me and her were looking for a truck and found the 93 idi. didn't know a thing about the engine, other than it was made by international. got it cheap, well, as cheap
as one can get a full size 3/4 ton truck around here. started reading the how-to stuff here and got it running good. i love mechanical things and since i don't
trust the "mechanics" around here that "fix" diesel engines, i made the decision to learn as much about these engines as possible. got excited and bought
a timing set-up and some other little stuff with hopes to help repair some of the idi's running around here eventually.
this site seems to be very technically oriented, which i like, other than people asking what color everyone else thinks they should paint their truck.
so thanks to everyone for the info, and help.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Similar to many of ya'll, I bought a diesel earlier this year and it needed alot of work. I googled forums and stumbled on another site and joined it and in many posts the guys kept referencing and linking to subjects and people here. So I started researching here and haven't gone back. Ya'll have been helpful knowledgeable not condesending to a new old guy like myself. And I appreciate each and every one of you.
On another note I googled Polaris atv repair forum and joined one as I've got one to repair. Alot of questions get asked but almost no expert replies like on this forum so I've been spoiled here.

Thanks
jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online