Anti Gel Product (Howes)

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, being I had it and in preparation for the weekends single digit temps I double dosed the Howes.
However, very disappointing to see that video showing how poor it is with adding lubricaty... even worst vs straight diesel!
For years I added Walmart two-stroke Tcw3 to my fuel but stopped several years ago.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a gel up here in MN last week. The 911 saved my bacon and have been using Howes since with no issues. I'm not partial to either PS or howes, but Howes is usually a bit cheaper around here.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use opti-lube: buy it by the gallon

XPD: $64.93/512 gal = 13 cents/gal
Winter: $64.48/512 gal = 12 cents/g
Summer: $59.89/2560 = 2 cents/gal
Lubricity: $51.22/1280 = 4 cents/gal

That does not include shipping.

With the gas/diesel price discrepancy I run summer year round and just depend on the retailers to account for seasonal changes. If I know I have summer diesel in a vehicle, I will add something.

My TDI made it through the cold snap just fine running local fuel and opti-lube summer.

In my TDI’s I see 1.5-2 mpg better using opti-lube summer doses to the minimum specs per the label. That’s worth the 2 cents and time. To be even more ****, I have glass vials that I use for measuring.

Sounds like I should also buy some 911 just in case

Thomas87

Reaction score
I've always used hot shots secret additive and anti gel when cold and like it. Started using it after watching that project farm video that was posted. Might give that opti-lube a try though since a lot of y'all are using it

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always used PS white bottle with good results, until this year. I split a full 100 gallon bottle between the 2 19 gallon tanks last Friday morning.

We had forecast of snow Monday morning so I drove the powerstroke so I had 4x4 just to make sure I could get home from work.

Tuesday morning I tried the 83 it was cold enough that it wouldn't spin fast enough to fire. Ended up driving the powerstroke again.

It was about 8° at 4:00 Wednesday morning and I was able to fire the 83 the 7 mile drive into town went fine. Worked until about 6:45 at my part time job, truck fired up fine and everything was going good until about halfway to work.

After about 5 miles on the highway I noticed it was losing power, not really for sure what exactly was happening I switched to the front tank. It picked back up and ran good for another couple miles before I started noticing it getting sluggish again, made it a couple more miles and was barely able to hold 45mph.

I pulled off on a side road to see if i could figure out what was going on, as soon as I stopped it surged a few times and died. Spun the fuel filter off and looked at the fuel, it was still liquid but was cloudy looking. On a whim I dumped the filter and grabbed a new bottle of PS, filled the filter and dump the rest in the front tank.

Jump back in the truck and after about 5sec of cranking with the accelerator on the floor she finally fired, had to hold the accelerator at about half throttle for about 30sec to keep it running.

After it would finally stay running at an idle I jumped back on the highway and it seemed to clear up after a couple miles and run normal.

I'm not sure exactly what was different this year but I treated the fuel the same as I always have and have dealt with much colder temps and this is the first time I have ever had an issue.

James

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn1t #1 Diesel cut with kerosene from the refineries?
What would happen if you threw in a gallon of kerosene and maybe a pint of 2cycle oil for lubricity, plus may your other fuel additive if you wanted?

Maybe where some of you guys live in the super deep freeze, thrown on a magnetic Oil Pan heater on the bottom of the fuel tank.

Goat

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe #1 is cut with Kerosene, but I’m not sure when and to what percentage.

In SD I still see #1 and #2, but have not come across it in CO.

I can’t remember where kerosene falls on the lubrication scale relative to straight diesel.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update... for giggles I double dosed with Howe's and made it through the low single digits without a hiccup... AND... I never even plugged her in.
After a 12 second GP burn she lit right off, started like it was summer.
Maybe I'll go back to adding the TCW3 back in for lube and hope coking-residue isn't an issue... gotta keep Mel's 12-year-old Baby Moose level rebuild on my OE pump and new injectors happy.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 diesel is similar to kerosene. Kerosene is a little better refined with less impurities so it can be burned indoors. #1 also typically has the addition of road tax, whereas k1 doesn't. Regardless, both have a similar cloud/pour point of around -40.

Winter fuel is what would be cut with kerosene/#1 in some sort of mix so as to not gel like straight #2. Now with additives being so common, the stations will typically purchase #2 and then treat it for the temps expected. I'm not sure of anyone offering a winter mix, at least not around here.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was at Wally World this afternoon and picked up a bottle of Power Service white bottle anti gel, 26 FL OZ for $12.98. Figured good to have something on hand. Last winter was had to find anything.
later I stopped at Tractor Supply and noticed they have the PS White bottle 64 OZ for $18.99, and a 2nd bottle for 1/2 price. Also the Diesel 911 and one other for the same special price.

Goat

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Might have to swing into my local tractor supply and pick up a bottle or three.

Has anyone seen any data or tests on Amsoil's diesel additives? I didnt even know they made the product but they seem to have an "all in one" type mix, injector cleaner, lube, cetane boost, anti gel. 47$ for 64oz jug. Only treats ~160 gallons of fuel for that volume but it does specifically call out that it prevents gelling at temperatures 32 degrees lower than Howes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online