Why dont they make a new smaller diesel?

norve8c9

Payton
Reaction score
With all the technology uprgrades these days I really wish that they would make a diesel with as much power as our IDI's but get really good gas mileage in a fullsize rig. I would think they could do that with a four cylinder these days. I would gladly sacrifice the speed up hills for an extra ten MPG.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
you and me both. if there was a diesel half ton out there i'd consider it if it got 25-30 mpg and put out the same or more power as my 6.9. though with the cost of fuel and the additional cost of the deisel option you really arent saving any money unless you keep the truck forever. i dont know if the new trucks out there will still be going when they're 20 years old like ours are.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Considering cat can get 7miles to the gallon pulling 190,000 pounds and rolling 38 tires with no aerodynamics at all (gravel train) with a 6 cylinder, yeah I would think a 4-6 cyl in a half ton should get 25-30 mpg no problem.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
They do make such vehicles, but they are not available in the US. Mitsu has a spiffy mid-sized diesel truck that's popular in the UK and Au. IIRC it gets ~25mpg. It looks about the size of a dodge dakota or slighly larger than a new style tacoma. I wish they had them here, I'd buy one for sure. I don't need a full size for my 4k lbs trailer.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Also Ford has a 2.5L turbo diesel in the Ranger Down under.I think it gets around 30-40MPG.But they can't get the small diesel vehicles to meet emission standards with the fuel on the market right now.That is why you don't even see any cars with a diesel.

85horsehauler

Reaction score
I have a VW Jetta diesel and love it. It is a '02 and I get about 48 mpg. I think VW still is selling a diesel powered Jetta, Golf, New Bettle, and Passat. For awhile they were selling a diesel powered Tourage that had a V-10 twin turbo that output 551 ft-lb of torque, not sure if they still are though. The catch is that you can't buy one of these cars new in a state that has the same emissions standards as California, which is most of the Northeast.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OkieGringo said:
There is a post over at TDS in the "General" forum about a 4.5 liter V-6 diesel for Ford 2007. here is the link... http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2790407&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1#Post2793036How do I turn these links into a "CLICK HERE" on this forum?

Like this;

CLICK HERE[/URL ]

I put an extra space in between the last url and the final bracket so the forum software wouldnt turn it into a CLICK HERE link.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
norve8c9 said:
With all the technology uprgrades these days I really wish that they would make a diesel with as much power as our IDI's but get really good gas mileage in a fullsize rig. I would think they could do that with a four cylinder these days. I would gladly sacrifice the speed up hills for an extra ten MPG.

We need 230hp, 575 ft-lbs. No more. I'd like a little more power and a bit more torque than my turbo'd IDI makes, one-ton dually crewcab, 6 speed manual transmission in a vehicle that will last me 10 years of occasional towing with no major mechanical expenses.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
We need 230hp, 575 ft-lbs. No more. I'd like a little more power and a bit more torque than my turbo'd IDI makes, one-ton dually crewcab, 6 speed manual transmission in a vehicle that will last me 10 years of occasional towing with no major mechanical expenses.

Mikey, Mikey, you smokin' that maryjane againcookoo ? Get back to that thesis and quit dreamin'. You should have taken "Planned Obsolence-101" :D . OkieGringo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle