Why does my truck only hold 10gals in each tank?

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at my owners manual and it says my truck will hold more than what it will allow me to put in!!! Is there any reason for this?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is your fuel gauge reading correctly? might be showing your low on fuel when your actually not, i have two 19 gallons on mine

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ford dual tank setup I believe is one 19 gallon tank and one 18 gallon? Something like that... Your fuel gauge must be bad only thing I can think of, unless your tanks are half full of cement

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could have a plugged vent also, i can see that keep shutting off the pump, is this the filling fuel fast issue maybe?

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lmao, it sure feels that way at time lol db44.. No my gage is not working right! But I can only get 10gals in @ a time it then runs spits it out!!! My gage reads 1/2 tanks empty past full is my 10 gals, so your saying because the gage is not work right it will not fill up all the way?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well are you sure the tank is empty when you add fuel? if they gauge isnt reading right it is going to keep getting worse so you can really judge by a bad gauge

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I can pump as fast as I want but 10gals is all it will allow me to put in. This is why I have i got my 100gal tank on my truck.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well a plugged vent could cause that, are you sure there factory tanks? thats kinda strange, im not sure were to go with this without actually diagnosing the issue, hopefully someone else can get you some more information, i would start myself though getting the gauge to work correctly because its a known problem,

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your showerheads are broken off in the tanks. Time to remove tanks, clean debris, and add a piece of fuel rated hose for an extension from the fuel pickup.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need about a 3 inch piece of fuel rated rubber hose on the end of the fuel sending unit. Cut the end of the new hose into a V so it won't suck the bottom of the tank. Your sending unit used to have a showerhead attached to it. It has broken off which isn't allowing you to burn a full tank of fuel. I'm sure more will chime in on how to do this fix. I have yet to do mine on my truck.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Pull the bed. if the thing is only using 10 gallons, there is 7-9 gallons left in either tank, easier to pull the bed than drop 1/2 full tanks. 3 screws at each filler neck, unplug the light harness, remove the 6 bed bolts with an 18mm socket, hoist bed off with a few friends or a chain hoist and a tree. Removing the bumper will help but is not 100% necessary. Now you can get to everything without a back ache and all kinds of crud getting in your eyes. Clean the area around the sending units, take a hammer and chisel to unscrew the retaining ring, remove the sending unit. Pump out the rest of the fuel, remove tanks, turn upside down, shake out the showerheads as they can get into your fuel tank selector valve and cause unwanted issues there as well. Follow guidelines for showerhead fix with diesel rated fuel line above and assembly is in reverse order.;Sweet

Now an extra special note for you Kali guys. While the bed is off, make sure to blow the dust off of the frame and take some extra time to appreciate the rust free hardware that you have to work with. Go out to the street and punch the asphalt a few times with bare knuckles so you can familiarize yourself with the pain that rustbelt guys go through when taking on such a task. ;Really:rolleyes:;p:eek:LOL:cheers:

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
The front tank is 18gls the rear is 19gls.
To me it sounds like you have bad sending unit in the tank you keep putting 10gls in.
I can run about 200 miles on 19gls fuel if Im not lead footin it.
What I would do is fill the tank full write the milage on the odometer and drive until you run out of fuel but keep an extra can or the other tank full incase it is unexpectedly dies on you.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Haha Goose, ain't that the truth. LOL

I think this should help. You'll be replacing the black piece in the picture.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle