Why do you love your IDI?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So why do you love your IDI? I love the simplicity. I like the older trucks. I don't like the payments on a new truck. I guess this is what started it all. This was my baby. It's not an IDI but I've missed her since I left her behind. Call my "new" truck a reincarnation to suit my needs now while recapturing a part of my youth.

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^lol yup. thats what all my friends say, they got me and the truck on speed dial!
Im not ready yet..not untill i have a d60..

I love my truck because its huge, great mechanical diesel, stupid simple to fix, and as how people call it. the most "beautiful ugly truck".
Im on a mission to make the most bad ass, **** looking truck.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love mine, they have never let me down. Blackie sits in the shop lot for weeks, fires right up and hauls a car hauler with a minivan on it through a crowded city! The white Cent does the same thing, and hopefully won't balk at the plow I got for him :O

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
I love mine because its never let me down, its ready when i am, affordable to fix, and I can fix it myself. Plus it has better fuel economy (pulling a load or not) than any new truck out there. Also cause its from an era that built a truck to be a truck cause that's what I use it for. Not some weekend grocery getter powder puff wagon. I need a truck that is reliable, fuel efficient and can get the job done. They just don't build em like that any more.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ nice truck above post. My truck works when I need it most of the time leaks stuff but it all works as it should. An I beat on it when I use it an it keeps going.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I am computer unfriendly and basically afraid of anything electronic. I like the power of a 12 valve butsaid this in a post on FB today. Take the engine out, gas or diesel, and study the rest of the truck. Ford wins HANDS DOWN!!!! That being said, the IDI gets the job done and lets me be different. 20 years ago, I was running a 390 Ford when all my friends were small block Chevy junkies. The IDI lets me carry that tradition of being differentthan the mainstream crowd. Besides, these old trucks garnish respect, period.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, because i swear the cclb of that era are the longest trucks i see on the road!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do I like about my ford IDI's ? All work hard, and ask for very little in return. None will win any horsepower wars, but all have delivered outstanding reliable miles.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Im like laser jock and DO NOT like the making payments on new junk....or making payments on anything for that matter. The reliablility is what keeps me coming back through the tough times (leaking oil coolers, IP's, DMF's, air intrusion etc) All of which are much more pleasant to deal with then electrical gremlins of these newer breeds that can leave a guy/gal stranded without warning and no way to get them going again. Parts are half that of a Cummins and I feel that they can be just as reliable and the truck wrapped around them are far superior to the ones made by Dodge.... I like natural aspriation and I like the torque curve of the V8 diesel.

I'd rather fix old iron then replace new plastic.....

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Simple, easy, cheap, and never once left me stranded waiting for a wrecker like my stroker did half a dozen times! IDI power all the way! ....at least until my 466 is running LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you Goose. I love these older trucks. In thier day, engines aside, ford was on top hands down. I got turned on to the IDIs by you guys. I wanted a diesel truck and was looking for the main components to build a brick with cummins power (sorry , said the "c" word). Between the expense of doing it right and the inspection nazis here in the people's republic of Maryland, I started reading up on the IDIs and I think I can get what I'm looking for in a truck and it won't be another &$@ing dodge. If I'm half as happy with this truck as I think I'm going to be it will be well worth the effort. Thanks guys!;Sweet

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the idi also sounds awesome when shes revving and working hard!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm idi till I die. Reasons are simple to do a roadside repair. Parts are not expensive. The truck appearance is what I like and making payments keeping a bank in business is not something I will ever do. Then the insurance and license fees yearly are so low how can I complain. Fuel mileage is fine as frogs a$$ hair too. For a huge barn door going 85 mph getting 19 mpg weighing 6200 lbs is amazing. Am I cheap.. No.. I don't think so but I know the value of a dollar too. What would really put these engines and trucks on the front page of every diesel magizine is the price of fuel dropping to a reasonable cost. Lets say around $2.50 per gallon. Now thats a zoombie rig...

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Because I LOVE the sound of swirl chambers popping. That darn 6.7 Scorpion PS is certainly an engineering masterpiece, but it just doesn't SOUND like a diesel, IMHO.

And because, as my signature used to say, I've hit a time in my life for a sporty little two-seater! (All 6,000 lbs of it!) LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online