Why did my turn signals stop blinking and my brake lights stop working?

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Out of the blue, the turn signals starting flashing really fast for a couple days then stopped flashing at all. I'm also told that my brake lights flash for a second then go out when brakes are applied. Anyone have experience with this?

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Check the hazard relay on the passengers side of the truck, its in the kick panel just in front of the door just up in the dash, rather easy to get to, looks like a standard t/s relay. Mine went bad and made my fuse pop every time I stepped on the brakes

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like multiple problems.

I'd start by replacing the turn signal relay. It's on the front of the fuse panel and it's a standard relay that's cheap and easy to get.

Brake lights sound like a bad brake light switch, but could be something else. Check the grounds on both bulbs.

Could also be a turn signal switch - the brake circuit goes through the signal switch so a bad turn signal switch will cause brake light problems. Most commonly this will show as one or the other light being finicky though.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
My hazards work, so that rules out that relay. My brakes lights actually do work (I was told they didn't), but they don't engage unless I'm really stomping on em. I need to look in to it. Since I now know the brake lights work, I bet it is the flasher on the fuse panel. Thanks for the help.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's 2 different relays - one for hazards and one for turn signals. Turn signal relay is on front of fuse panel, and hazard relay is on the back.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
for a quick check you should be able to swap the relays and see if that gets you back online. there could also be some iffy wiring or a bad ground in your tailights. saying you have brake light issues and turn signal issues at the same time makes me very suspicious of the turn signal switch. if the switch is going out sometimes jiggling it up or down in its position can get it to work.

let us know what you find.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
The flasher on the fuse panel was the culprit. $6 part from advance and I'm good to go. The brake lights are a result of the brake light switch. I'll deal with that later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online