Who has Stans Headers?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
It has been a long time since I checked in here, hopefully soon I can get my e350 ambulance back together, it needs transmission assembly and a front drive axle, if anyone has one lying around that could come in handy!

I had intended to use a hypermax van turbo, however in thinking this won't be a fast truck, more a lumbering back roads 4x4 camper, headers and a typ4 cam may do the trick with a fresh fuel injection system.

A couple quick advantages, off idle torquestions is improved a bit, back pressure from the turbo slows things down a bit until they get going.

Since it takes fuel to run a turbo this and I won't need the power of a turbo hopefully this would improve cruising mpg a bit and extend range, this thing only has a 55 gallon tank after all...

From the reading I have done it sounds like the pump can be turned up 1-1.5 flats vs 2-3 flats for a turbo, so off the cuff I figured 50% power increase of a turbo.

I'd like to hear any input from folks who have headers.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not really. You aren't going to get much boost in power with fuel no matter what you do without a turbo... especially at any elevation. I've tried myself, did everything I could... No real power.

Add a turbo and adjust the fuel, you'll nearly double the wheel HP of your IDI. It's pretty impressive. Makes a *big* difference once you are trying to go over about 45MPH.
I've gotten 200RWHP out of a stock, worn fuel system and Banks sidewinder that(I think) has a boost or drive leak somewhere. This is compared to around 120 RWHP N/A, and I've even seen as low as 85 RWHP out of a N/A 7.3.

I've not noticed any less power at idle or low-RPM between turbo and non; it feels about the same. Once you get above about 2K RPM, the NA truck will stop 'pulling', while the turbo truck will just pull straight all the way to 3K.

It's pretty impressive watching the speedometer go from 40 to 60 at the same speed as it did from 20 to 40.

I'd do both, if you can. The Torque cam would be awesome, but I'm not convinced it's a drop-in cam at this point. You really need to check /everything/ so you don't end up with piston to valve issues, especially if the engine hasn't worn in a bit - The big problem is that the engine will *run* even if the valves are touching the pistons... you won't know about the problem until 10-20K down the line when the guides are shot.
Also, Russ is having issues with the cam grinder, so availability may be an issue.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From what I know, Russ isn't having any of the old cams made right now, and he's working on a new one.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a set of headers out of a SBF lake style kit.
but building headers is one of those fun jobs for me

You must be registered for see images attach

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Very nice, thats art work man.
How much fun and how much Dineros to build me a set for my 94 Turbo IDI ?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice, thats art work man.
How much fun and how much Dineros to build me a set for my 94 Turbo IDI ?

I only use 3/8" stainless flanges. - $150
1 3/4 primary tubes - $600
3" collectors - $80
10ish hours @ $60/hr
will only do stainless.
all TIG welded
the ones I posted were mig welded, they will get rebuilt at some point in time.

gfemling

Reaction score
Concerning Russ' Torque Cam, I recently got one and in discussion he said he found a new grinding company which solved the quality control problems he was having with original grinder. So I understand he is still able to supply. My engine is going back together (slowly) so no feedback on effect of new cam yet.

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Increast performance ? Cooler EGTs or just cosmetic ?
Im seriously thinking about having a set made for my 1994 F 250 factory Turbo IDI. Long bed 4x4

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its already a factory turbo?
I would make sure that you don't have an up pipe leak, get your turbo rebuilt, and add a intercooler.
headers wont help you much, unless you really wanted them, and purely for style.
there are manifolds and up pipes available for these off the shelf so to speak.
I say screw the headers, and intercool it air to air, or air to water.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headers won't do a darn thing for these engines unless you have a hi output engine like Brian's. The stock manifolds flow very well as is.
That amount of $ is better spent on a turbo if you are looking for any type of engine performance.
Turbo=80hp
Headers=maybe 2hp -Lame

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online