Which van should I buy?

w123suv

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my current IDI e350 type2 ambulance van. It's a 1994 w/ 250k miles. Runs great (e4od acts up sometime) but the rust level is bad. Pieces fall off every other time I open or close the doors :mad:

I can't decide between two vans (e350 type2 ambulances) I found because they actually both seem like good deals.

The first is a 94 with 154k and the second is a 90 with 90k. Both are virtually rust free ;Sweet

Obviously I have experience with the 94 but have never owned one of the older body vans. I tend to be inclined to think that older is better. (crank windows etc.)

I have done research regarding parts compatibility and know the transmission differences and other things. I'm not sure if the 90 transmission is really worse than the 94? (both e4od)

Niether owner seems to know a whole lot about diesels. 94 owner bought it from a friend who worked for the county then changed his mind and got a different van. Says the batteries aren't charging and transmission is shifting weird but didn't until after the batteries quit charging.

90 owner works for ambulance company and has maintenance records although the van has not moved for 4 years and hasn't been started in 1.

I know this question is rather subjective but any thoughts are welcome. Having only owned the one Ford van I thought maybe someone who has driven/owned both might have a perspective?

Thanks guys - BTW I have spent hours on this forum and love my IDI.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well unless you've seen it yourself, I wouldn't count on what they told you to be correct.

Really you need to look at and drive both, then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w123suv

Reaction score
They are both at a distance from me. Not saying I wouldn't turn one down after seeing it but they are cheap so I know they will not be perfect. Assuming they were both in the same condition I guess I'm just trying to get some pro or cons about model year due to lack of personal experience.

w123suv

Reaction score
The ambulance part doesn't really matter. Just differences between the two model year vans. ( they are two different body styles).

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was searching I figured the later body style would be easier on parts since they ran from what? 92 up to 05 & current for lots of stuff. 94 is the cross over year as you know, could be idi, idi turbo or psd. Usually I call my 94 a 93 at the parts house! (It's a n/a idi also.) If "looking" more current is important then it's the 94. I think the glow plug controls are different, not sure what else but there pretty similar as far as driveline.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea. Sounds like you have a "parts van" already.....

w123suv

Reaction score
Good points BDOGONE. I have been thinking the same thing. I think I like the "classic" look of the older model but getting parts easily is probably more important.
I know what you mean about parts. Last summer I had to get front brake parts and I was having trouble matching up until the guy at the parts store looked up a 95. Strange. Thanks for your help.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points BDOGONE. I have been thinking the same thing. I think I like the "classic" look of the older model but getting parts easily is probably more important.
I know what you mean about parts. Last summer I had to get front brake parts and I was having trouble matching up until the guy at the parts store looked up a 95. Strange. Thanks for your help.

Parts related to the body style will definetly be easyer to find for the 94'. Hell alot the the parts on our 2000 e-150 are compatable with our 2013 e-250, trailer hitch seats ect... vans rock I know the newer body style is a rock solid design ours NEVER gave us 1 problem until the day it died.... except for the rain gutters they like to rust and they rust bad!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Having spent WAY too much of my life in both versions, I must say that I prefer the laters.... even bought a later.

My understanding that the chassis and platform were pretty much unchanged from pre-91 to 92-on. That would explain why my 92 is drilled for several transmission-crossmember positions, although only the E4OD was offered that year.

Have been wondering lately if the engine compartment is the same width. I'm overdue to visit PicknPull, and I will take my measuring tape.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I've owned both, E350s with raised roofs and extended bodies. the later body style is MUCH easier to find parts for, many years interchange and parts are dirt cheap. most of the 1991 and older styles met the crusher years ago.

I wouldn't touch an ambulance without a compression check and detailed inspection of the engine. In my area, they sit and idle for most of every 8 hr shift.

If I had to choose, I'd take the 94. Why?....

1. Parts availability and prices
2. Looks much more modern.
3. 94 prob had factory engine/trans upgrades the 90 didn't. Does the 1990 have a 6.9 or 7.3?
4. 154K miles is just getting broken in. the worst wear is probably the seats, which are easily upgraded for little money.

Heck, I'd keep your current engine/trans and stuff it into a rust-free E350 body from a desert salvage yard, that sell at the Pick&Pull for $400.

w123suv

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts DOE-SST.

If this van passed the compression test I think that it would be a very good deal. It is from the south and has no rust. I haven't seen it but thats what the owner claims and from the pictures it looks very good. The only problem he knows of is that the batteries won't charge so I was planning on taking the good alternator out of my van when I go to look at it. I don't know if I will be able to get him to let me do a compression test. I have negotiated him down on the price already and he's willing to take $1650 for it.

Is it hard to do a compression test on these? How long do you think it would take? Maybe I could find a mechanic close to the seller that would do it. Ive done several on different diesel mercedes which was easy.

I bought my current ambulance without doing a check @ 190k. Its at 250k now and still runs great. Fires up quick every time but I may have just gotten lucky. Would the hour meter on the seat be of any help?

Thanks again!

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comp. test may be of limited value if it's been sitting idle.

Pretty easy to do a couple of cylinders, just to see though. You need the adapter to go in place of a glow plug as you prob. know.

Are you taking two battery's to start it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online